When You Arrive
Welcome to NYU!
Once you get to NYU, it’s important that you review the arrival checklist and make sure you understand how to maintain your J-1 status in the US.
As soon as you arrive in the United States, you must:
- Register with Scholar Services through the online arrival form. Registration is mandatory. If you have difficulty accessing or submitting this form, please email email@example.com.
- You will complete a registration form, and will need to upload copies of your DS-2019, visa stamp, and I-94 record, and health insurance confirmation. J-1 Student Interns will also need to upload a copy of the DS-7002.
- We will review your registration and validate your arrival with the US government.
- OGS requires that you register with our office as soon as possible after you arrive. We must validate your arrival in SEVIS within 30 days of your start date, or you risk termination of your J-1 status.
- Review the J-1 orientation guide and register for an orientation session. As a new international J-1 scholar, it is important that you understand your rights and responsibilities, as well as help you adjust to life in NYC. Please download and read the J-1 Scholar Orientation Guide (PDF: 16.3MB), then register for an orientation session.
- You must obtain a travel signature on your DS-2019 form(s) if you or any of your J-2 dependents plan to travel internationally during your stay with NYU. Please request a travel signature online in advance of your travels.
- Contact your academic department to let them know you have arrived.
- Visit the NYUCard Center after checking in with your academic department. Bring a valid form of identification (passport, State Photo ID, or State Driver License) to have your picture taken and receive your NYUCard.
- NYU Langone Student Interns: your affiliation is through Langone, not the central University, so please do not visit the Card Center. Instead, please speak with your faculty sponsor or department administrator about obtaining an ID card for access to the appropriate buildings/labs.
- Get mandatory insurance, if you have not done so already.
- Complete the following only if you are paid by NYU:
- Get a Social Security Number, if you do not have one already.
- Complete an I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form) with the department administrator or the Human Resources contact in your school on or before your first day of employment (this is a federal legal requirement).
- Complete the tax information required through GLACIER, an Online Tax Compliance System used by NYU. You will receive an email soon, if you haven’t already, from firstname.lastname@example.org containing a password and instructions on accessing GLACIER.
- If you are a full-time employee eligible for benefits, learn about and sign up for your benefits by logging into NYU Home, clicking on the Work tab, then navigating to the Benefits Resource Center Login.
During your J-1 program you must take care to maintain lawful J-1 status, as failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences for you. Review the requirements to maintain legal J-1 status while in the US.