If you plan to extend or transfer your J-1 Exchange Program, please notify your department administrator 1-2 months in advance of the end date of your DS-2019 form. Your program must be extended or transferred to another institution before the end date on your current DS-2019 form.

J-1 Extension 

The maximum length of stay for J-1 exchange visitors is determined by J-1 category (section 4 on your DS-2019): 

J-1 Category

Maximum Length of Stay

Short-term Scholar

6 months

Research Scholar or Professor

5 years


1 year

Student Intern 1 year

There is no limit to the number of extensions which may occur within the maximum length of stay for your J-1 category.

A DS-2019 extension in any J-1 category must be formally requested by your NYU department, about 1-2 months in advance of the end date of the current appointment.

Extending your DS-2019 extends your J-1 status, but it does not extend your visa stamp. If you intend on traveling internationally and returning to the United States after an extension and your visa has expired, you will need to apply for a visa renewal at a US consulate abroad. It is not possible to extend your visa stamp while in the United States.

J-1 Transfer 

If the new program is consistent with the purpose of your program at NYU, a transfer of your J-1 status during your period of authorized stay is possible. The international office at your new institution must contact Scholar Services to coordinate the transfer in SEVIS.

The transfer of your SEVIS record must occur before the end date listed on your DS-2019 form, so be sure to plan ahead!

Whether you extend your status at NYU or transfer to another institution, you DO NOT need to pay the SEVIS fee again.

Change of Status 

Unless you are subject to the Two-Year Home Residence Requirement [212(e)], you are permitted to request from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) a change to another immigration status. However, such requests require time and various fees, and can be denied by the USCIS.