New York University can make payments for honoraria as well as travel and subsistence to foreign nationals in B-1, B-2, WB (Waiver for Business), or WT (Waiver for Tourism) status as long as they meet certain criteria.


Honoraria may be paid to visitors who enter in B-1/B-2 or WT/WB status only if the academic activity does not exceed nine days.


Visitors who enter in B-1 or WB status may receive reimbursement for expenses for the duration of their visit. Receipts are required.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Scholars who visit NYU for nine days or less and receive honoraria or reimbursement do not need social security numbers.