Learning Management System (LMS) Transition
We're excited to announce that in July 2020, NYU selected a new platform for NYU’s Learning Management System (LMS), eventually to replace NYU Classes. See below for background on and objectives for this initiative, and visit the LMS Transition website for details and current activities (NYU NetID and password required.)
In April 2020, a formal vote was taken from the Teaching & Learning governing groups—the Future of Tech Enhanced Education (FTEE), User Advisory Group (UAG), and the Instructional Technology Committee (ITC), along with the University CIO Council (UCIOC). The four governing bodies unanimously affirmed a transition to Brightspace with two formal recommendations from the LMS Evaluation Steering Committee.
- To recommend to NYU leadership that NYU IT become authorized to engage in formal contract discussions with the selected LMS vendor based on remote instruction critical needs (Based on COVID-19 Expense restrictions)
- To recommend to NYU senior leadership that the LMS replacement project be considered among the University’s priorities for investment next academic year. Due to the COVID-19 restrictions and priorities, we are still awaiting guidance on the funding and possible timelines
The Teaching and Learning Transition will engage with the NYU community in the upcoming fall and spring semesters to adopt the new LMS with the plan to achieve:
- Insights from the Student and Faculty Experience
- Opportunity for the instructional designers and school support staff to use the platform
- Opportunity to address early challenges
- An established service delivery plan
- Improve adoption and help pave the way for a smooth larger-scale launch in spring 2021
Key to this process is the involvement of faculty, students and staff from across NYU. Together, we will ensure a comprehensive analysis to enable NYU to meet teaching and learning technology needs for the future. Find out more about how to get involved on the LMS Transition website (NetID and password required).