Locate businesses in the area via the internet with three resources: yellowpages.com, switchboard.com, or www.citidex.com.
Most major banks have a branch or ATM in the Washington Square area. Here is a list of the branches closest to campus.
- Bank of America Local branch: 770 Broadway (at 8th St.), 10003
- Citibank Local branches: 555 LaGuardia Place,
10012749 Broadway (at Astor Pl.),
79 Fifth Avenue (at 16th St.), 10003
- Chase Local branches: 26 Astor Place, 10012
32 University Place (at 9th St.), 10003
632 Broadway, 10012
- TD Bank Local branches: 666 Broadway (at Bond St.), 10012
90 Fifth Avenue (at 14th St.), 10011
- HSBC Local branches: 769 Broadway (at 9th St.), 10003
354 Sixth Ave. (at Washington Pl.), 10011
599 Broadway (at Houston), 10012
- Wachovia Local branch: 120 Seventh Ave. (at 17th St.), 10011
Navigating Manhattan on Foot
Most of Manhattan is designed in a grid pattern. Fifth Avenue divides the borough, and the streets into East and West. Avenues run north (uptown) and south (downtown) and the Streets run east-west across the island. The NYC Street Finder can help determine the nearest cross streets for addresses on Manhattan's avenues. Click here for a printable version of the street finder.
Finding your Way in NYC
Find locations of area parks, hotels, landmarks and more here.
- The Village Voice is a well-known alternative newspaper.
- The Villager Greenwich Village's weekly community paper since 1934
- The East Villager weekly newspaper for the Manhattan neighborhoods of the East Village and Lower East Side
- DNAinfo.com New York on-line newsletter about Greenwich Village, SoHo, and the surrounding neighborhoods
- West View News "the Voice of the West Village," Greenwich Village, and parts of Chelsea
NYU Office of Government and Community Affairs provides information and links about how NYU interacts with the larger community and maintains its mission to be "in and of the city."
The American Automobile Association (AAA) is an international provider of towing services, travel discounts, multi-line insurance, vehicle financing, and more.
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides assistance on a variety of vehicle and driving-related matters. The local DMV office is at 1311 Broadway, 8th Floor (between 33rd and 34th Streets).
School and Child Care Information
Family Care provides information and supports for faculty and administrators with needs relating to local child care and schools.
Carebridge Life Resources provides information and referral on child care and eldercare services.
InsideSchools provides independent information about NYC's public schools.
Health and Medical Resources
- Hospitals and Medical Centers
- Other Area Hospital Centers
- Additional NYU Medical Resources
- Psychological Services
- NYU Psychoanalytic Institute offers low-cost intensive psychoanalysis and psychotherapy in the New York metropolitan area. (212) 263-6243
- Postdoctoral Psychology Clinic offers long-term psychoanalytic services on a sliding fee scale. Call (212) 998-7890 for more information.
- Mental Health Association of New York City, Inc. (800) LIFE-NET functions as a referral service and an anonymous crisis line. You can call to find mental health professionals in the area or to speak with a mental health professional right away.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender Community Center
offers low cost individual and group counseling and referrals to LGBT-friendly mental health providers and therapists in NYC.
- Carebridge Life Resources NYU's Employee Assistance Program (EAP), can provide support for personal and family problems common in contemporary life. These confidential services are provided at no cost to you or your family, and are just a toll-free phone call away.
There are numerous resources available to keep you and your animals happy and healthy. The links that follow provide a starting place including tips on how to identify and evaluate care providers.
Advice on Choosing a Veterinarian The following veterinarian resources are close to the Washington Square community:
Pet Sitters, Walkers and Day Cares
Advice on Choosing a Pet Sitter
- Biscuits and Bath, with two locations near the NYU campus, is a resource for dog owners seeking day care and boarding options, grooming, vet care and referrals, walks, and talks.
- Happy Paws is New York's newest pet resort, offering daycare, boarding, training, transportation, and grooming for dogs.
- Established in 1999, Pooch Pals provides positive reinforcement dog walking along with overnight pet sitting, boarding, group and private dog training services. That means they do more than just ensure that your beloved pet is well taken care of. They also reinforce good behavior training every step of the way, from basic commands like leave it and heel, to help with proper leash walking, house breaking training and more!
- Puptopia provides full service pet care including dog walking, training, nutritional advice, and a page of useful resources on caring for dogs.
- National Association of Professional Pet Sitters is an organization used by pet owners across the country to find professional in-home pet sitters.
- NYC Dog Walkers provides dos walking services for Manhattan dog owners.
- Petaholics offers services for dogs and other pets including training, boarding and walking.
- Pet Sitters International is a resource for finding independent professional pet sitters who are members of this organization.
Shopping Near Washington Square
Additional resources are available here.
- Max Brenner, Chocolate by the Bald Man Max has used his passion for chocolate to create a menu full of chocolaty creations. The menu also includes sandwiches and other chocolate-free foods.
- Mariebelle offers delicious chocolate as well as a Cacao Bar for a coffee and pastry to make any day special.
- Vosges Haut Chocolat sells exotic and unusual chocolate treats.
- Kitchen Supplies
- Broadway Panhandler 65 East 8th Street
- Astor Wines & Spirits
- Trader Joe's
- Additional specialty stores, including flea markets, music stores, and more can be found here.
- Book Stores
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers is the largest book retailer in the United States. The store closest to NYU is located on Union Square at 33 East 17th Street.
- Housing Works Cafe and Bookstore 126 Crosby Street (south of Houston)
- Shakespeare and Co. Booksellers 716 Broadway (at Washington Pl.). This small chain considers itself "an independent alternative."
- St. Mark's Bookshop 31 Third Ave.This independent bookshop specializes in culture and arts, although they also sell books on other topics.
- The Strand 282 Broadway (at 12th St.) The Strand boasts that it has 18 miles of books. The store carries new, used and rare books on just about every subject.
- Garber Hardware is a family owned hardware store that has been serving the neighborhood for several generations. Garber's is open 7 days a week and is located at 710 Greenwich Avenue, between 10th and Charles. Reach them on foot, web, or phone (212-242-9807).
- M&D True Value Hardware (212-477-4180) is located on the corner of Bleecker and Lafayette Streets.
- Simon's Hardware and Bath sells distinctive, high quality hardware and plumbing products.
The addresses listed here are the locations closest to Washington Square. Please visit store websites to find additional locations.
- Morton Williams 130 Bleecker St. (at LaGuardia Pl.)
- Chelsea Market 75 9th Avenue (Between 15th and 16th Sts.)
- Citarella 424 6th Avenue (at 9th St.)
- D'Agostino 64 University Place (at 10th St.)
- Garden of Eden Gourmet Markets 7 East 14th Street (at 5th Ave.)
- The Green Market at Union Square is one of the biggest and most popular markets in New York City. You will find fish, meats, cheeses, and a variety of produce from local growers four days a week
- Gristedes 25 University Place (at 8th St.
Just Food promotes fresh produce and local agriculture, creating relationships between local farmers and New Yorkers. Locate a community supported agricultural (CSA) group in your area.
- Trader Joe's 142 E. 14th Street. (between 3rd Ave. and Irving Pl.)
- Westside Market (77 Seventh Avenue)
- Whole Foods Market 40 E. 14th Street (at Union Square), 95 East Houston St
Speech and Language Clinic
The Steinhardt School of Education's Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders directs this clinical facility. The clinic has reduced rates for NYU employees and family members and offers the following services:
- individual speech, language, and audiologic services
- assessment of speech, language, and hearing problems
- therapy for all types of communication disorders (speech, language, fluency, and voice)
- group therapy for adults with speech and/or language disorders resulting from stroke, brain injury, and Parkinson's Disease
- speech and language therapy for children and adults
665 Broadway, Suite 900
New York, NY 10003-6860
Tel: 212 998 5230
Fax: 212 995 4356