Learn the basics of enrolling in your NYU benefits via the Benefits Resource Center.

Enrollment Basics

NYU offers group health insurance coverage to qualified adjunct faculty who have met the specified service requirements as stated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between New York University and the UAW.

  • Eligible adjunct faculty members may enroll during NYU's designated Annual Enrollment period, which is held in the fall. Individual and dependent coverage in an NYU medical plan is available.
  • Reminder: Unless you experience a qualifying life event, Annual Enrollment is the only opportunity to make benefit elections and changes.
  • When you enroll, you must certify that you are not eligible for group health insurance through employment elsewhere.
  • Take note of any documentation that is required as a result of your elections, specifically, if you add a new dependent to your coverage. You will be required to submit proof of relationship documentation to NYU PeopleLink.

                                                                                                Back to top

Where to Enroll: NYU Benefits Resource Center

The Benefits Resource Center provides secure access to plan information and decision support tools and allows users to make annual enrollment elections, declare life events, and review their current benefits information.

To access the Benefits Resource Center, login to NYUHome with your NetID (printed on the back of your NYU identification card) and password credentials. Select the Work page, and click "Go" on the Benefits Resource Center card. Information and tools will help you:

  • Compare NYU health plans and identify the optimal plan for you and your dependent(s)
  • Estimate anticipated total health care costs
  • Contact health plan vendors

                                                                                                Back to top

Who Can I Enroll?

Eligible Dependent(s)

Medical Coverage for Your Eligible Dependent(s)

When you enroll in an NYU medical plan, you may also enroll your eligible dependent(s) for coverage.

Proof of Relationship

Proof of relationship documentation must be submitted to NYU PeopleLink by November 30 for Annual Enrollment or within 31 days of hire or qualifying life event in order for coverage to become effective for a newly-added dependent(s). Coverage will pend until the documentation is received. Birth certificates/adoption papers and marriage certificates can be sent to NYU PeopleLink by email at askpeoplelink@nyu.edu, by fax at 212-995-4333, or by mail at 105 East 17th Street, First Floor, New York, NY 10003.

  • Marriage certificate
  • Approved NYU Statement of Domestic Partner Form and supporting documentation
  • Birth certificate with names of both the parent and the child
  • Adoption papers
  • Legal documentation substantiating placement for adoption
  • Court order from a court of competent jurisdiction showing legal guardianship or permanent or temporary custody

Eligible Dependent(s) Include:

  • Your legal spouse
  • Your domestic partner whom you registered through NYU PeopleLink
  • Your child, through the end of the month in which age 26 is attained
  • Your unmarried, dependent child over age 26 if mentally or physically disabled

Dependent Child(ren) Include:

  • Your natural child
  • Your stepchild
  • Your registered domestic partner’s child
  • Your legally-adopted child, or child placed with you for legal adoption
  • A child for whom you have been appointed legal guardian by a court of competent jurisdiction
  • A child for whom you have been given temporary or permanent custody under an order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction

When Child(ren) Become Eligible for Coverage

  • A newborn child is eligible for coverage at birth
  • In the case of adoption, placement for adoption, custody, or guardianship, a child becomes eligible for coverage when the child is placed in your home; the adoption is final; or the date the court awards guardianship, temporary, or permanent custody
  • When a child loses coverage elsewhere

In order to obtain coverage for your child, you must enroll the child within 31 days of the child’s birth; the date the child is placed in your home for adoption; the date the adoption is final; the date that you have been appointed legal guardian or the date you were awarded temporary or permanent custody; the date the child lost coverage elsewhere.

Note: In the case of temporary custody, you will be required to submit either another order that extends the period of temporary custody or an order of permanent custody for the child’s coverage to remain in effect.

When Your Dependent Child(ren) is No Longer Eligible for Coverage

When your child is no longer eligible to continue coverage as a dependent on your NYU medical, dental, or vision plan, his/her coverage will terminate at the end of the month in which he/she becomes ineligible. He/she may continue coverage through COBRA for up to 36 months by paying the full group rate, plus an additional two percent for administrative expenses. COBRA information will be sent by NYU’s third party COBRA administrator to the home address on file.

Coverage Under One Plan Only

If both you and your spouse or registered domestic partner work for the University and are both eligible for a medical plan through NYU, only one of you may cover your child as a dependent under one plan; both of you cannot cover your child concurrently.

Also, you may cover your spouse or partner as a dependent under your plan, or your spouse or partner may elect separate employee coverage; you and your spouse or partner cannot be covered as both employee and dependent under a medical, dental, or vision plan through NYU.

When Your Legal Spouse is No Longer Eligible for Coverage

A divorced or legally-separated spouse is no longer eligible for coverage under your NYU medical, dental, or vision plan as of the date the divorce or separation is finalized. You must elect to terminate his/her coverage within 31 days of the date of finalization of your divorce by declaring a qualifying life event on the Benefits Resource Center. Your ex-spouse may continue coverage through COBRA for up to 36 months by paying the full group rate, plus an additional two percent for administrative expenses. COBRA information will be sent by NYU’s third party COBRA administrator to the home address on file.

Domestic Partnership

A domestic partnership is defined as two individuals who live together in a long-term relationship of indefinite duration. Additionally, partners agree to be jointly responsible for each other’s common welfare and to share financial obligations. Partners may not be related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit legal marriage in the state in which they legally reside. You must register your domestic partner with NYU PeopleLink before you may enroll him/her for coverage under an NYU medical, dental, or vision plan.

Medicare Rules for Domestic Partners Turning Age 65

As your domestic partner approaches age 65, he or she must enroll in Medicare during the initial enrollment period if covered as a dependent on your NYU medical plan. The initial enrollment period is the first time an individual can sign up for Medicare. Individuals may begin the enrollment process either:

-- three months before 65th birthday,
-- month of 65th birthday, and
-- three months after 65th birthday.

Your domestic partner will need to:
-- obtain both Medicare Parts A and B and 
-- have Medicare coverage as primary and UnitedHealthcare as secondary. 

Visit https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/ or call 800-771-1213 for more information on enrolling in Medicare.

Enrollment in Medicare Part D (prescription coverage) for your domestic partner is optional as he or she will still be covered under your Caremark prescription benefits if he or she continues with NYU coverage.

Once Medicare coverage has been confirmed, your domestic partner should inform his or her providers that Medicare is the primary insurer.   

If your domestic partner is able to obtain medical coverage through his or her own employer, he or she may wish to do so without enrolling in Medicare.   

Please note: If your domestic partner is eligible for Medicare due to a disability or end stage renal disease, he or she may be eligible to keep NYU coverage as primary. Please notify PeopleLink as soon as possible.

                                                                                                Back to top

How to Enroll

To enroll in your benefits follow these steps (see minimum system requirements for accessing the Benefits Resource Center):

  • Login to NYUHome using your NetID and NYUHome password. Then select the Work page and click "Go" on the Benefits Resource Center card.
  • Click the “Enroll Now” button at the bottom of the Welcome screen.
  • Once you’ve read the information on the Welcome screen, click on “Start Your Enrollment” and you can:

    • Enter your dependent information
    • Enter beneficiary information
    • Elect your medical benefits
    • Review and confirm your benefits elections
    • Print or save your elections in PDF format

Important Note If You are Adding a Dependent(s):

If you are adding a new dependent(s) to your coverage, you will be required to submit proof of relationship (e.g., marriage certificate, birth certificate) to NYU PeopleLink.

Follow these steps to add a dependent(s):

  • Click on “Add / Remove Your Dependent” on the “Review Your Information” screen.
  • Once the dependent has been successfully added, go to “Making Your Elections” and check the box next to the dependent’s name on the election screen(s) to add the newly-added dependent to your coverage.

Accessing the Benefits Resource Center requires the following minimum versions of operating systems and web browsers:

O­­perating Systems

  • Windows 7
  • macOS 10
  • iOS 9
  • Android 5

Web Browsers

  • Internet Explorer 11
  • Safari 10
  • Firefox 57
  • Google Chrome 64

                                                                                                Back to top