Global Walking Challenge
Twelfth Annual Global Walking Challenge
1,000 NYU Participants, 252 Million steps, 107,954 Miles (173,735 Kilometers) and strides to success for NYU Florence.
Photo taken by a Global Walking Challenge participantPhoto credit: Joe Reyes
Photo taken by a Global Walking Challenge participantPhoto credit: Isabelle Coydon
Photo taken by a Global Walking Challenge participantPhoto credit: Cécilia Patrice
Winner, Based on Average Total Steps
- First Place
Call Us A Cab
- Second Place
- Third Place
Together We Perspire
NYU Abu Dhabi
Highest Total Steps
- First Place
NYU New York
- Second Place
NYU New York
- Third Place
NYU New York
- 2022 – Florence
- 2021 – Abu Dhabi
- 2020 – New York
- 2019 – Florence
- 2018 – New York
- 2017 – Abu Dhabi
- 2016 – Abu Dhabi
- 2015 – Abu Dhabi
- 2014 – Abu Dhabi
- 2013 – Abu Dhabi
- 2012 – Abu Dhabi
- 2011 – New York
2022 Features and Resources
NYU partners with MoveSpring on the Global Walking Challenge. Via desktop or mobile application, MoveSpring integrates across popular wearable device technologies. Don’t have a fitness tracker? Connect your smartphone to track your steps (Apple Health or Google Fit). The option to manually enter steps has been retired. Note: There is also a maximum steps per day cap of 30,000.
Faculty and employees will have the opportunity to create a smaller team that has a global affiliation (New York, Abu Dhabi, Shanghai, or any Global Study Away Site). Participants may register and team captains can identify themselves beginning September 13. Register to be a team captain to lead a team of five or more for community camaraderie. Consider organizing the smaller team by department, building, or subject matter expertise, then start stepping together at the end of September. Each team must have and maintain at least five members or will otherwise be added to a general team pool of individuals (the Walking Wonders).
Each team will continue to compete to achieve the highest average distance. Honors will also be given to the teams with the highest total steps.
Each participant will also be automatically enrolled in a Target Challenge at the same time; the target is to achieve at least 300,000 total steps throughout the challenge. You can also keep your streak going by completing 8,500 steps per day. The challenge will run September 29 through October 31. Additional features include:
- Education: Look for content posted within MoveSpring throughout the challenge. View motivational tips and articles on various health topics.
- Team Chat: Your team will have its designated chat room to provide support, social chatter, or friendly conversation to engage as a group. Note: Please follow the University's social media guidelines when chatting.
- Team Leaderboard: The team with the highest daily step average moves to the top of the leaderboard. Swipe to view teams with the highest total steps. Work together with your team to earn the top spot. Select your team to view a leaderboard of fellow teammates.
- Streak: Try to meet a personal step, minute, or distance goal as many days in a row as possible. Each day you complete 8,500 steps keeps your streak going.
- Target: Concurrent with the overall challenge, you are encouraged to complete the target goal of 300,000 steps over the 30-day challenge. MoveSpring automatically calculates an ideal daily individual target to help you stay on track.
- Notifications: When content is posted by the challenge administrator or someone posts within your team chat, a push notification will appear. You may also receive push notifications to remind you to sync your steps. You can adjust your push notification settings, but we encourage you to leave them turned on.
2022 Important Dates
- Sept. 13: Team Captain and General Registration Begins
- Sept. 27: Team Captain and General Registration Ends
- Sept. 29: Challenge Begins
- Oct. 31: Challenge Ends
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to participate?
NYU faculty and employees globally have the opportunity to participate. (NYU Langone and NYU School of Medicine faculty and employees are not eligible to participate.)
How are the winning teams determined?
The team with the highest average distance will be named the overall winner, based on the team's global affiliation – New York, Abu Dhabi, Shanghai, or a Global Study Away Site. A winning title will also be given to the teams with the highest total steps.
What if I don't have a fitness tracker or pedometer?
Most smartphones can track your steps with Apple Health or Google Fit.
What if I don't know a captain or there is not a team I would like to join?
Any faculty or employee may choose to participate without being on a smaller team. In this case, you will be placed on a team of individuals of your global affiliation.
What is the difference between the Team Challenge and Target Challenge?
Faculty and employees will have the opportunity to join any team they wish upon registering for the Team Challenge. You will be automatically enrolled in the Target Challenge, where you "compete against yourself" to reach a minimum target of 300,000 total steps throughout the month-long contest.
Does the contest have a hashtag?
Participants are encouraged to tweet all about your #nyusteps and socialize with colleagues across the globe using the MoveSpring newsfeed and team message boards.
How will my information be shared?
Deidentified, anonymous, aggregate data may be shared with NYU's wellness program administrator and an NYU faculty researcher and used solely for research purposes to advance science.
How to Register (Closed until Next Challenge)
How to Register as a Participant or Team Captain
1. Please avoid creating a duplicate MoveSpring account by following the instructions that best apply to you:
- Existing users (with the app): Click the challenge link to be placed into the challenge. Forgot your password? Select Forgot Password or view the help article.
- Existing users (who deleted the app): Click the challenge link to download the app and then Log in to your account. Forgot your password? Select Forgot Password or view the help article.
- New to MoveSpring?: Click the challenge link to download the app and sign up to create a new account. Note that your chosen username will be visible to other users. You’ll automatically be added into the challenge after signing up. Complete the registration questions and then connect a device.
2. Enter or confirm our organization code (not case sensitive): NYULIVESMART and follow the prompts.
Important: Sync your steps. Don't forget to open your device's app regularly (such as FitBit or Apple Health) to sync your steps to MoveSpring. We recommend doing this at least once every three days to make sure your steps transfer.
How to Create or Join A Team
After you join the challenge successfully, from your mobile dashboard, scroll down to the Challenges section. Locate your challenge and tap the Join or create a team notification. From there, tap the blue Create button in the upper right-hand corner if you wish to create a team or use the search function to find an established team and select Join team.
- Create a team by September 27. Tell your teammates the name of your team so they can join.
- If you do not know a team captain, or can not identify a team to join, you can join Walking Wonders based on your location.
- Note: Once you join a team it cannot be undone without the help of the challenge admin. Contact Movespring Customer Support.
- Learn more about how to join a team
- Learn more about how to create a team
Need Help Getting Set Up or During the Challenge?
Contact MoveSpring Customer Support for help with setup or other issues.
Comments from past participants
"This was a positive, collaborative and motivating challenge. It created a good talking point within the team and I really enjoyed being a part of it."
"How to wear a pedometer in NYC."
"Thank you for coordinating this health challenge! My second pedometer broke during the last week and I finally gave up counting, but I walk to and from work daily and rarely ride the subway or bus, so I feel confident I’m doing as much walking as I can. Plus, this week the elevator in our apt building broke and may be out of service for months! We live on the 5th floor. We are getting plenty of exercise, especially my 4 yr old!"
"My two young sons (8 and 5yrs old) are my biggest cheer leaders. Which is why I wanted to ask you if there are any extra pedometers? If there is, can I please have two for them? They would be so excited to feel like a part of our team."
"I am giving up the stationary bicycle for the month (no steps counted there) and instead substituting other cardio activities. Also, as I try to take the stairs as much as possible but hating going up past the endless floors before the 2nd floor, I am taking the elevator only to the 2nd floor and walking from there and getting off the elevator two floors below the floor that I live on (confuses the neighbors a bit, though)."
"Our pup is also enjoying the walking program. She has benefitted greatly."
"I love the NYU Global Walking Contest! This program has pushed me to walk a little more each day, take the stairs and generally be more aware of my physical activity. I also appreciated the connection with our Global site and the collegial competition. That said, I hope we (NYU New York) walk away with the trophy!"
"I used to run one mile each morning, but due to the fact that I was participating in the global walking contest, I thought that I would push the envelope. I am now running three miles a day, feeling great and intend on bringing the trophy home to New York!"
"It is 6,842 miles from New York City to Abu Dhabi. That is roughly 14,368,200 steps. Collectively, we have walked back and forth both global sites, with extra steps to spare for sight-seeing! :-)"
"I am glad I signed up for this contest. I run 4 - 5 times a week but fail to cross-train, do warm-ups and cool-downs. For this contest, I get up earlier to walk a mile before and after a run. I walk to and from Port Authority to 721 Broadway to log in more steps. At lunch, I take the stairs instead of the elevator. The contest is definitely helping me train for a 15K race on December 17. I am running faster and longer on weekends."
"I've been trying to lose weight and get in shape without success for years. Exercising has always been a chore. I never knew how I was doing, or never saw the results as I've seen this past month. I have more energy and I feel lighter. I used to complain about my knees hurting, as I climbed up or walked down stairs/steps. I feel like a new younger person. I can now run up and down steps without feeling winded. Thank you for giving me the incentive to walk daily and keep in shape. I'm sorry the walk is coming to an end, but I will not stop walking. I've started recording my steps on Facebook :) When I began walking, my goal was to walk 10000 steps (5 miles) a day. Although it was hard in the beginning to reach that goal, I was very excited when I made it. My next goal is 10 miles. I almost made it yesterday; I walked 7.5 miles. It is hard to reach these goals away from the gym, but contantly moving when at home, work, or waiting for the train helps me towards accomplishing my goal. Thank you. A very satisfied walker :)"
"I took my walking to a whole other level in Europe. During our winter break, I went to Italy and France and walked 11-18.5 miles/day. I busted my walking goal wide open :)."