Copyright & Licensing Information
All images from the NYU Photo Bureau collection are licensed for NYU editorial and marketing purposes only. The photographer holds copyright.
Images not owned by NYU must be licensed by the owner of the image. More on that below.
For images originating from the Photo Bureau, permission is granted for the following purposes:
- NYU Marketing: Images can be used on NYU websites and printed promotional materials (newsletters, brochures, view books, post cards, academic bulletins, emails, posters), as long as the photographer is credited beside the image. Images may also be used on social media websites, such as Facebook or Twitter, as long as the the photographer is credited on the image itself (see example below).
- Editorial usage: Images can be used to supplement newspaper, journal or magazine articles in print and online that highlight NYU projects, faculty/administration/students or events.
There is no end date for images used for the purposes listed above.
Permission is not automatically granted by the NYU Photo Bureau for images used in the following manner:
- Advertising and Commercial Use: Images used in a non-NYU affiliated publication to highlight an NYU event, program, or faculty member/administrator/student is considered an advertisement or commercial piece. Permission must be granted from the NYU Photo Bureau for this purpose. Photography rates for images used in this matter are determined by the photographer.
- Creation of an ad in the New York Times promoting an NYU program.
- Images featured in a faculty member's book (front cover, back cover, or inside)
- Images featured on a billboard
- Images featured on product packaging.
Permission is not automatically granted for third party distribution.
- Third-party distribution is prohibited without permission of the NYU Photo Bureau. The NYU Photo Bureau takes seriously image distribution for purposes outside academic or university marketing and editorial purposes. For example, an image of an NYU student attending a Stern event cannot be sold or distributed to a third party (NYU or non-NYU) where the student's image would be used to highlight a non-university promotion.
Professional photography standards require that all images created by the NYU Photo Bureau and its contracted freelance photographers must be credited. Whether online or in print, credit and copyright information must be referenced near images.
Please credit images in the following manner:
©Photographer's Last Name: Courtesy of NYU Photo Bureau
Copyright and Licensing Information for Non-NYU Images
To use images not originating from the Photo Bureau for editorial and marketing purposes, permission for use must be obtained from the owner. This applies to both newly posted images and previously published images that remain available in already published communications of any format. The University frequently receives notices from photographers about unauthorized use of their photographs on NYU websites, along with demands for significant damages. This can be avoided by proactively licensing images, using royalty-free images, and removing previously published images for which permissions were not obtained. For more information on royalty-free images, NYU Libraries maintains a resource on copyright permissions and finding images you can use legally. Please visit their website at https://guides.nyu.edu/copyright/images.