Connecting with PuTTY
- Log in to the i4 server with NetID@i4.nyu.edu as your hostname, replacing "NetID" with your actual NYU NetID.
- Make sure you connect to i4 using port 22.
- Hit Open to connect to the server.
- Log in with your NetID password. Note: You won't be able to see any characters as you're typing your password.
- Hit Enter after you've typed your password.
- PuTTY will attempt to make a connection with the i4 server.
- If PuTTY is able to successfully connect with the server you'll receive an option to select your preferred method to complete two-factor authentication.
- You'll be provided with a list of options based on your current available multi-factor authentication methods.
- Select your preferred authentication method by typing the number associated with that option from the list displayed.
- Hit Enter after you've made your selection.
- If you don't authenticate through your selected method before the connection times out, you'll receive an error message.
- PuTTY will attempt the connection again and ask you to select an authentication method based on the list provided.
- After you've successfully authenticated using your previously selected method, you're connection to the i4 server will be complete.
- PuTTY will display a prompt for you to continue working.
If this is your initial connection...
- Type logout and hit Return to exit the system.