More common troubleshooting tips are in the works. In the meantime, if you're having any issues using Email Direct, please contact our team. So that we can best assist you, include the following information:
- Your NetID
- Exact Subaccount name
- Menu tab or section such as Audience, Campaigns, etc.
- Exact Segment name
- Exact Template name
- Exact Campaign name
- Specific details about the issue
- Screenshots or videos of the issue
I see duplicate copies of my draft email.
When you create a new campaign, only click once on the button to select a template. It takes a moment for the page to refresh. Double or triple clicking (or more) on the "start here" button in the Template Gallery will create a draft for each click, but only one draft will actually contain the content you add—usually it's the one that has the most recent updated date. You can rename the real draft and then archive the rest.
I'm getting a spam warning for my message.
Email Direct uses an automated spam detection tool that provides a numeric score based on how your message performs against common spam indicators. A score of 4 or higher triggers a spam warning message, alerting you to review and update your content to prevent any issues with delivery.
Common spam warnings:
- BitCoin with your personal info: This warning occurs when your message contains links with URLs that were generated with a link shortening service like BitLy. To resolve this issue, check each link in your message and updated any shortened URLs to be the full URL.
- Malformed From address: This warning occurs when your sender email address is formatted incorrectly or contains either a trailing or leading space. To resolve this issue, check the From email address on your current message to ensure it is properly formatted and doesn't contain any hidden spaces.
- Trailing whitespace before '>' in From header: This warning occurs when your sender email address includes a trailing or leading space. To resolve this issue, check the From email address on your current message for any hidden spaces. In some cases, this warning appears because another user in your Subaccount updated the default sender email for the Subaccount to be a malformed email address with a trailing or leading space
For a spam warning that's not included in this list or other issue, please contact the Email Direct Team.
Note: Spam warnings about BODY:MIME text can be safely disregarded.
I haven’t gotten my test message yet.
Test messages are usually pretty quick, but mailings can take up to thirty minutes to send. You can check on the status of mailings by navigating to the Response tab and then selecting the Test tab and then looking in the list.
The buttons to send/schedule my campaign are greyed out.
This usually occurs when there are malformed sender details for the campaign. Check for trailing spaces in the sender email address. If the separate reply-to email option is checked, confirm that the field is populated and also doesn't have any trailing spaces.
The button to approve a message is greyed out.
If you have Manager access to Email Direct and the option to approve a message for release is greyed out, this is likely caused by either an issue with the scheduled send date or sender details.
Check to make sure that the scheduled send date and time has not passed. Update the send date and/or time for some time in the future (even if it's just 15 minutes later) so that you can approve the message.
If the issue isn't caused by the send date, then check the sender email address. Check to make sure the email address is valid and there aren't any hidden spaces. If the option for a separate reply-to email address is checked, don't forget to make sure that field also has a valid email address with no hidden spaces.
My messages are going to the Promotions tab in Gmail.
Your recipients can do a couple of things to prevent messages from being delivered to Promotions:
- Drag the email into the Primary tab. This makes future emails from that sender go to the Primary tab, but the user may need to do this again if you use many email addresses as the sender email.
- Add frequently used sender emails to their contacts.
- Consider not using Gmail tabs.
On your end, you can increase the likelihood that the email goes to Primary tab when you use personalization (Hello, First Name), use images sparingly, and be mindful of the number of links in an email—which are all general best practices for avoiding a Spam filter.
There is a delivery failure when sending to an email alias.
If there is a delivery failure when sending to an email alias, the message, “Sorry, “emailaddress”@nyu.edu has a mailing status of error” may appear. In any case, for this issue, the Contact will appear in the Error status tab. To reinstate a Contact, go to Contacts, find the email address, check the box to the left of the email address listing, then select Actions > Change Status > Active.
If this is a Google Group-related alias, it is possible that a setting in the groups (e.g., one not allowing email from unknown/unapproved addresses) is making the email undeliverable. Adjust this setting to allow emails accordingly.
A contact (recipient) is not receiving emails
One of the most common reasons a contact (recipient) is not receiving an email that was sent is that the person's status got into "Error" mode. Check for this possibility with these steps.
- Go to the Audience tab > Contacts
- Select the Error (number) tab
- Use the Search field and find the individual's email address
- Select the checkbox for the recipient's email address
- Select the drop-down list arrow for Actions
- Select Change status
- Select the checkbox for Active
- Select Save
- Go to the Active (number) tab and ensure the recipient is in the list by searching for the email address in the search field and check that it appears in the results
How do I send a campaign that excludes a Segment or multiple Segments?
If you want to exclude 1 Segment, when preparing the fields right before sending or scheduling a campaign, select the checkbox for "Exclude an audience segment" located beneath the Choose recipients field, and then select the desired one from the drop-down list.
If you want to exclude multiple Segments, submit a request (select Add a new recipient group and/or segment) to the Email Direct Team who will prepare the Segment for you which you can then select from the drop-down list.
My Segment Contacts number count seems incorrect.
The system does not update the contacts count number that is displayed. Provided the Segment is correctly configured, and there are contacts matching the Segment criteria, then the Segment just needs to be refreshed. Even if the number of contacts displayed for the Segment is inaccurate, the emails will still be sent to the contacts that meet the Segment criteria.
To refresh the number of contacts displayed in a Segment:
- Navigate to the Audience tab.
- In the pane on the left side, select Segments.
- Find the Segment name in the list and click on the it.
- The Segment name will be listed twice, once at the top of the main content area (Segments / Segment Name) and a 2nd time just below it alongside some date details.
- Select the blue text Refresh link located near the date details.
- Continue to select the blue text Refresh text link until the Updated date reflects the current date and time.
- Confirm that the Segment number of Contacts listed toward the right of the screen is accurate. If this number is not as is expected, the Segment may not be properly configured.
My message was very long and may have been clipped. The open rate is very low.
When a message is very long, the bottom of the message will be clipped off in the recipient's inbox. The tracking pixel that records opens and clicks is located in the bottom of the footer. That means unless someone selects the "read full message" link at the bottom of a clipped message, the tracking pixel will not record the message as opened/clicked. It doesn't indicate that the message went to spam, or that your recipients didn't open the message, just that the opens weren't recorded.