News During the Calendar Year
The following communication was sent to Human Resources Officers and Fiscal Officers on November 17, 2020.
As you are already aware, the hiring of temporary employees has been suspended since March. Any requests for a hiring exception, which should be rare, are to be submitted to Sabrina Ellis, VP of Human Resources, and Cathie Nadeau, VP of Budget and Financial Planning at firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
Once approval is received, please follow the updated process which now requires a requisition/PO for all temporary staffing hires.
New Process for Approved Temporary Employees:
- Once approval is granted, contact the NYU approved Staffing Agency. Preferred staffing agencies can be found on the NYU Buying and Paying pages.
- If you are ONLY requesting payroll services from an agency, then skip to step 5.
- If you are asking for an agency to recruit a resource, then provide the agency with:
- Requestor's full name
- Assignment location and telephone number
- Temporary type and description of assignment, including any specific software or other skill required, and any other pertinent information
- Start date and approximate end date, person to whom the temporary employee will report
- The agency will find a suitable match and call you with the name of the temporary.
- The Hiring Manager, HRO or their designee is responsible for creating a non catalog PO for the duration of the engagement and attaching the hiring exception approval to the request.
- The PO must include two (2) line items:
- The hourly Bill rate x numbers of temp hours
- Ancillary fee to cover any sick leave and ACA
- At the end of each week, the agency will submit a copy of the time sheets to the hiring manager for approval
- The hiring manager must attach the approved timesheet and the approval to hire the temp staff to the PO and create a cost receipt against the PO in order to trigger a payment to the agency
- The PO must include two (2) line items:
For all New Temporary Staff approved as of November 23:This process is effective immediately for all new hires.
For all Current Temporary Staff: A Non Catalog Purchase Order must be created in i-Buy NYU for all existing temporary staff by November 23.
Who is Affected
Anyone who has hired or plans to hire a temporary employee from an outside agency.
Why This Matters
As the University navigates the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, this new process ensures that:
- The University is exercising diligent stewardship when considering expenses necessary to continue University work
- Staffing agencies are billing for the correct number of hours and at the contracted rate
- Business units are aware of their ongoing expenses related to temporary staffing
All HR Managers will be responsible to ensure that hiring managers are aware of this new process.
Procurement will be offering an i-Buy NYU Training class via Zoom on how to create a Requisition and conduct cost receipting. The Zoom class will be hosted on Friday, November 20, at 10am; the session will be recorded should you wish to access it for reference at a later date.
For questions please contact FinanceLink at email@example.com or 212-998-1111.
Please note that all Payroll Accounting Adjustments processed and approved in PeopleSync through September 18, 2020 will post to FY20. Please do not process any Payroll Accounting Adjustments for FY21 pay periods until September 21, 2020 to ensure they post correctly to FY21.
As the University navigates the COVID-19 pandemic, there are three important considerations when determining whether an expense should be incurred. Please review the new Policy Guidance for Pandemic Related Expenses for details.
In order to track costs related to COVID-19, a required field has been added to requisitions. The field is a dropdown selectable field with YES or NO as the two selectable values. The field must be completed in order for the requisition to be submitted and the only possible values are YES or NO. The requestors will need to complete before the Submit Order will be active.
Please pass along to anyone that requires this information.
By Definition, A COVID-related expense is an expense that would not have been incurred if not for the virus.
If you have opted to receive your paycheck through a paper check either mailed to your home address in PeopleSync or delivered to an assigned on-campus location, we encourage you to consider receiving your paycheck via direct deposit instead as it provides the following benefits:
- Your paycheck is automatically deposited into the bank account(s) of your choosing on pay day or sooner if pay day falls on a weekend or holiday
- You do not need to wait for your paycheck to be delivered to your home by the US Postal Service or by NYU Mail Services to your assigned on-campus location.
- You do not need to go to the bank to deposit your check and wait for the funds to post to your bank account.
- You do not need to worry about lost or stolen paychecks.
- You are helping the environment by reducing ink, paper, and energy consumption associated with the creation and delivery of paper paychecks.
- You do not need to wait for your paycheck to be issued in the event NYU is closed due to circumstances such as inclement weather or other emergencies.
If you have questions, please contact PeopleLink at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-992-LINK (5465).