Student Film Program
Student Film / Video Insurance
All curricular film and video activity must be registered with and approved by the Department of Insurance and Enterprise Risk Management if any of the following conditions are met:
- You are shooting on private property not owned by NYU.
- You require a shooting permit to shoot on public property.
- You are renting equipment or props.
- You are filming any potentially hazardous scenes or activities.
Please do not proceed with registration until you have been approved by your teacher or Production Supervisor.
Steps for Requesting Film / Video Insurance
1. Upload Production Book to Google Drive
- Refer to the appropriate Production Check List for the Production Book requirements
- Use the Instructions on using Google Drive for how to submit your Production Book for review
2. Submit your Insurance Registration
- The director or producer should enter location and vendor information exactly how they should be written on the certificate of insurance
- Make sure to check the box marked "Send me a copy of my responses" before you submit the Insurance Registration Form. This is the only way you will be able to make changes or additions once the form is submitted.
3. Certificate of Insurance Issuance
Provided that your submission is complete and accurate, the Insurance & Enterprise Risk Management department will issue a Certificate of Insurance for each location and vendor indicated on the Insurance Registration Form.
- Certificates will generally be processed and distributed within 5 business days of receipt of your submission. If you checked off any Special Insurance Requests on your insurance request form, it may take up to 10 business days (2 Weeks) to process your request.
There is only one option for the delivery of your certificate. It will be emailed directly to you, between the hours of 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- It's your responsibility to print out the certificates and deliver them to the appropriate Owner/Occupant, Mayor’s Office, or Rental House for your project.
- The Insurance & Enterprise Risk Management Department will not make any other arrangements for the delivery of certificates
In Case of a Loss or Accident
- Do not panic. If someone is injured, seek immediate medical attention
- Fill out the First Notice of Claim Form and notify your advisor.
- If property is damaged, secure the area to make certain that no additional property is damaged or that no one is injured.
- Have a crew member film/video the area and any damaged property. This may assist the insurance company in settling any possible claim
- The Director is responsible for writing a description of the events that lead to the accident. This description should include as much information as possible, including dates, times, eyewitness names, addresses, and phone numbers
- As soon as possible, the report should be presented both to your school and NYU Insurance and Enterprise Risk Management, at which time you will be given further instructions, if any
- The First Notice of Claim Form must be filled out for all claims (even if a claim falls under the deductible)