NYU has been an innovator in higher education, with 19 schools and colleges with strategies that advance inclusion, diversity, belonging, equity and innovation efforts across the entire NYU community. One such area is the supply chain.
NYU’s Supplier Diversity Initiative incorporates best practices to ensure qualified, small and diverse suppliers are considered for upcoming opportunities. Categories of focus include small, minority, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, service-disabled veterans, HubZone and small disadvantaged-owned businesses.
“A key element of NYU's focus on global diversity, inclusion, belonging, equity, and access is ensuring supplier diversity. We have made an institutional commitment through our Supplier Diversity Initiative to support, consider, and work with small and diverse suppliers, to advance and sustain inclusive excellence at NYU and beyond.”
Lisa Coleman, PhD, SVP & Chief Diversity Officer, Office of Global Inclusion, Diversity, and Strategic Innovation
Gemma Cannings, AVP, Procurement & Payables
“NYU seeks small and diverse qualified suppliers as well as those that have sustainable solutions to meet university goals & objectives. By working with small and diverse suppliers, NYU’s Procurement-to-Pay organization increases value, innovation, quality, service, inclusion, and competitive solutions.
As one of the greenest urban campuses in the U.S., we encourage sustainable solutions as we continue to reduce NYU’s carbon footprint and drive NYU’s Green Purchasing initiative.”
“NYU is committed to fostering and cultivating a culture of supplier inclusion and sustainability. Best practices include a supply base that reflects the diverse students, employees, and community we serve and one that leaves a green, low carbon footprint.
Our team of category managers proactive seeks to include small and diverse suppliers, and those that offer sustainable products & solutions to meet our key objectives.”
Edie Peckl, Executive Director, Category Management
What We Do
NYU has been an innovator in higher education, with 19 schools and colleges with strategies that advance inclusion, diversity, belonging, equity, and innovation efforts across the entire NYU community. One such area is the supply chain. We work in conjunction with the Office of Global Inclusion, Diversity, and Strategic Innovation and the Office of Sustainability here at NYU.
NYU’s Supplier Diversity Initiative incorporates best practices to ensure qualified, small, and diverse suppliers are considered for upcoming opportunities. Efforts include:
- Outreach: Matchmaking, DiversiTea’s (formal 1:1 meetings with suppliers and category managers), and trade show booth exhibits to increase networking and relationship-building opportunities.
- Education: Panel participation in workshops, brown bag lunches, and other programs highlight how to do business with NYU and communicate upcoming business opportunities.
- Supplier Mentoring: Formal and informal regarding how to build capacity, improve pitch and marketing materials.
- Advocacy: Single point of contact to help new, existing, small, and diverse suppliers navigate within procurement and among decision-makers in a somewhat decentralized buying environment.
- Inclusion: Small and/or diverse suppliers invited to RFPs when possible.
- Feedback: When possible, category managers provide feedback to suppliers regarding where they may have fallen short in the RFP process.
- Grants/Research: Provide assistance to internal NYU teams to identify small and diverse qualified suppliers for their projects.
- 3rd Party Certification: NYU encourages diverse suppliers to be certified by recognized associations and other federal and state agencies.
- 2nd Tier: While working with large catalogs and providers, we encourage their use of diverse suppliers as part of NYU’s 2nd tier efforts.
Products and Services Purchased
- Advertising & PR Agencies
- Digital, Social, Mobile Media
- Dental Related Products & Services
- Facility Services
- Information Technologies
- Lab Supplies
- Medical Related Products & Services
- Office Supplies
- Printing & Promotional Materials
- Professional Services
- Scientific Related Products & Services
- Sustainable Products & Services
- Temporary Services & Staffing