Equipment, Surplus, and Disposal
Managing the surplus and disposal of assets is critical to University and Federal policies.
- Asset Management Surplus Request Form (NYU Home login required)
- Asset Management Vehicle Authorization to Sell Form (PDF)
- Capital Asset Status Form (PDF)
- Donation Request Form for Not-For-Profit Organizations (PDF)
- Off-Campus Equipment Acknowledgement Form (PDF)
Capital Equipment refers to durable, self-sufficient movable property with a useful life of more than one year and a unit cost of $3,000.00 or more.
- Government regulations require that this equipment be identified and tracked from acquisition to disposal
- For details view the Managing Equipment with Federal Funds page in the SPA Handbook or read the Asset Management Policies and Procedures in the NYU policy website
- Capital asset records are subject to audit by NYU's Internal Audit department and federal agencies
Departments regularly have surplus items that are no longer needed and require either recycling or disposal.
- University owned items cannot be given or sold to employees or students regardless of condition
- Item(s) that are not recycled within the University will be offered to Not for Profit Organization for donation. To learn more, read the Asset management Policies and Procedures on the NYU policy website
Once an item is designated for disposal, the department should then contact FCM Client Services Center at 212-998-1001 to remove it from the premises.
Surplus items must have an affixed Disposal Label before building maintenance can dispose of them