Foundations of People Leadership
About the program
The Foundations of People Leadership Certificate Program is designed to equip NYU’s managers with the knowledge and skills that they need in order to feel confident in the role of a people leader at NYU. The program is tailored to new people managers, leaders applying this skillset in a new way, or more experienced managers interested in refreshing their leadership skills.
What’s featured in the program?
The People Leadership Certificate is a blended, self-paced learning path made up of six courses:
- Introduction to Leading People at NYU (LDR 001) – an online course that includes an overview of the Foundations of People Leadership Program, a self-assessment of your leadership skills, and an overview of what it means to be a successful and effective leader at NYU
- Leadership Communication (LDR 002) – an instructor-led course that focuses on effective communication skills, including active listening, communication styles, and difficult conversations.
- Human Resources Essentials for NYU Leaders (LDR 003) – an online course that provides guidance for supervising employees, including information on key employment laws and NYU policies that affect how you lead.
- Performance Communication Essentials (PRO 402) – an online course with an overview of NYU’s performance communication process and the best practices that lead to successful performance management.
- Coaching for High Performance (LDR 004) – an instructor-led course that equips you to coach your team members to perform at a high level, with a focus on developing, motivating, and evaluating employees.
- Leading Teams (LDR 005) – an instructor-led course focused on fostering and leading high-performing teams throughout the team life cycle.
Is the program for me?
This program is recommended for new supervisors with fewer than 18 months of leadership experience. It is also a great opportunity for more experienced people leaders who need to refresh or revisit their leadership development.
How do I enroll?
- Login to NYUHome and locate the NYUiLearn card
- In the Search field, type Introduction to Leading People at NYU or LDR 001 (insert space between LDR and 001)
- On the LDR 001 page, click Enroll
Note: This program was formerly titled the Critical Skills for Emerging Leaders Certificate Program and underwent a redesign during 2023, including updates to course content and names. If you’ve taken any of the following courses prior to the redesign, you will still receive credit toward the certificate, and no action is needed on your part.
|New Name as of December 2023
Critical Skills for Emerging Leaders Certificate Program
Foundations of People Leadership Certificate Program
Managers as Leaders
Introduction to Leading People at NYU
|Leading Communication Successfully
Leading Employees at NYU
Human Resources Essentials for NYU Leaders
Performance Communication at NYU
Performance Communication Essentials
Leading for High Performance
Coaching for High Performance
Leading Teams (no change)