Before you make a decision to explore career choices, or begin a job search, it is important that you take an inventory of your skills and abilities, and determine the kind of work that you will find rewarding.
The way to accomplish this is to undergo a process called self-assessment. Self-assessment helps you explore your interests, values and work-related preferences.
Some of the important questions that you explore as part of your self-assessment include:
- What are my strengths as an employee?
- Which of my work related skills need further development?
- What is my ideal work environment -- one in which I can do my best work?
- Do any of my outside interests provide clues to a new career direction?
- What kind of rewards -- tangible and intangible -- do I want from my work?