1968 B.A., Brooklyn College, City University of New York
1972 D.D.S., New York University College of Dentistry
1975 Cert. Ped. Dent., New York University College of Dentistry
1984 FAAHD, Fellow, American Association of Hospital Dentists
2004 DABSCD, Diplomate, American Board of Special Care Dentistry
· Dr. Neal Herman is a pediatric dentist, a Fellow of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, and a Diplomate of the American Board of Special Care Dentistry.
At the present time, he is
· Clinical Professor and Director, Visiting Scholars Program in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, New York University College of Dentistry.
· Attending Pediatric Dentist, Department of Oral Surgery, Bellevue Hospital Center, New York City.
· Faculty, New York University Masters Programs in Oral Biology and Global Public Health, teaching a course on International Issues in Pediatric Oral Health.
· Dental Consultant to the New York City Department of Education.
· Pediatric oral health advisor to the Howard Karageusian Commemorative Corporation, an Armenian children’s benevolent foundation.
· Dental consultant to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for special projects.
Previously, Dr. Herman has served as
Region II Head Start Oral Health Consultant, working out of the New York City Regional Office of the Administration for Children and Families, US Department of Health and Human Services. 2005 – 2008.
· Senior Policy Advisor for Institutional, Academic and Professional Affairs, Bureau of Oral Health, New York City Health Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. 1994 – 2004.
· Bureau Director and Assistant Commissioner of Health, Bureau of Oral Health, New York City Health Department of Health, 1991 – 1993.
· Deputy Director for Clinical Affairs, Bureau of Oral Health, New York City Health Department of Health, 1989 – 1991.
· Director of Dentistry, Children's Aid Society of New York City, 1981 – 1987.
· Assistant Professor, Departments of Pediatric Dentistry and Community Dentistry, Fairleigh Dickinson University School of Dentistry. 1977 – 1981.
· Director, Dr. Martin Luther King Dental Clinic, Patterson NJ Board of Education. 1977 – 1981.
· Head Start Program Reviewer for Region II, and Pediatric Dentistry Consultant to the NYU/Region II Head Start Technical Assistance Support Center (TASC) - 1997-2004.
· Attending Dentist, clinician and administrator at the Sunset Park Family Health Center of Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, an original federal neighborhood health center founded in 1967. 1972 – 1989.
Dr. Herman has lectured extensively and appeared on radio, television and in the print media in the United States and internationally in the areas of hospital, clinical and academic dentistry, pediatric and special patient health care issues, public health policy, quality assurance, community relations, and program development/administration. In 2007, he was profiled by the New York State Dental Foundation on their website www.nysdentalfoundation.org. The Foundation gave special recognition to him as an individual whose contributions to the dental profession and patient care far exceed duty and expectations.
Drvostep, D, Herman, NG - A Young Child’s Perception of a Smile and its Social Implications – Presented as an abstract/poster at the annual AAPD Meeting San Diego, CA May 2012
Choi, O, Herman, NG – Geographic Distribution and Demographic Characteristics of Pediatric Dental Practices in New York State - Presented as an abstract/poster at the annual AAPD Meeting San Diego, CA May 2012
Salar, B, Herman, NG - Trends and attitudes concerning indirect pulp therapy as an alternative to vital pulpotomy: A pilot survey and questionnaire – Presented as an abstract/poster at the annual AAPD Meeting San Diego, CA May 2012
Sachs, S, Herman, NG - Assessment of Caregivers’ Knowledge of Dental Sealants and Their Effect on Primary and Young Permanent Molars - Presented as a poster at the Annual Meeting of the AAPD New York, NY – May, 2011
Chang, A, Herman, NG – Demographics of Patients Receiving Dental Treatment Under General Anesthesia at Bellevue Hospital - Presented as a poster at the Annual Meeting of the AAPD New York, NY – May, 2011
Lo, J, Herman, NG - Treatment Considerations for a Patient with Cornelia de Lange Syndrome: A Case Report – Presented as a poster at the Annual Meeting of the AAPD Chicago, IL – May 28, 2010
Herman, NG, So, P, et al – Intensive Fluoride Varnish Treatment on Pre-Cooperative Children with ECC - Presented as a poster at the Annual Meeting of the AAPD, Honolulu, Hawaii – May 23, 2009
Wang, Z, Herman, NG, et al – The Effect of Intensive Fluoride Varnish Treatment on Streptococcus Mutans and Oral Bacterial Population in Children With Early Childhood Caries: A Pilot Study – Presented as a poster at the Annual Meeting of the AAPD, Washington, DC – May 27, 2008
Fernandez, JB, Herman, NG, Rosenberg, L, Moursi, AM, Daronch, M – A Public-Private Collaboration to Improve the Oral Health Status of Children Enrolled in Head Start in New York City – NYS Dental Journal 74: No4; 32-34 June/July 2008
Psoter WJ, Herman NG, More FG, Park P, Robbins M, Rekow ED, Ryan JM, Triola MM, Glotzer D. Proposed educational objectives for hospital- based dentists during catastrophic events and disaster response. J Dent Educ. 2006 Aug;70(8):835-43.
Herman, N.G. – Radiographic Oddities: Unusual Calcifications in the Dental Pulp – New York State Dental Journal Vol.70 No.4: pp 28-29 - April 2004