18 Cooper Square, Grey Art Gallery
New York University is relocating the Grey Art Gallery to 18 Cooper Square from its previous location on Washington Square East. Work will include interior renovations and facade work to build out a new storefront. This project began in fall 2022 and is scheduled to continue until spring 2023. All work is weather and site conditions permitting.
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
- In instances where additional night or weekend work is required, community members will be given advanced notice.
Previous Project Updates
December 8, 2022
- Demolition is scheduled to begin on Monday, December 12. Demolition will take place during overnight hours to reduce impact on building occupants. Site conditions permitting, demolition is scheduled to continue for two weeks.
- A packer truck will be used to remove debris from the site. The packer truck will begin operating at 7:00am.
December 1, 2022
- Installation of the sidewalk enclosure is scheduled to begin the week of December 5 and last for 5-7 days. This work includes installing plywood and painting. This work will happen during regular work hours.
Scope of Work
- This project consists of demolition, masonry repairs, steel installation, mechanical and electrical upgrades, and interior renovations.
- A sidewalk enclosure will be installed in the front of the building to facilitate construction of the new storefront.
- If any asbestos containing material, or ACM, is detected in the mastic that lies behind the brick facade, contractors will implement safe abatement protocols to securely dispose of it.
- A packer truck will be used to remove waste from the project site.
- As with any active construction site, dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work and noise will be generated by mechanical equipment and hand held tools.