79 Washington Square East, Goddard Hall
NYU is converting the dormitory to an academic building at 79 Washington Square East. This project is scheduled to begin in mid-June and continue until summer 2024. This project will include demolition, window replacement, facade repairs, sidewalk bridging with pipe scaffolding, and interior restorations.
- Work hours are Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- Some night and weekend work may be required.
- Neighbors will be given advance notice if work hours change.
Current Project Update
January 23, 2023
- Demolition work on the project continues.
Previous Project Updates
December 14, 2022
- Work will continue through winter recess except on December 26.
December 1, 2022
- Demolition work will begin the week of December 5.
October 5, 2022
- Contractors are scheduled to have a boom lift the week of October 10. A lane on Washington Sqaure East between West 4th and Washington Place will be closed to traffic. The street will remain open to pedestrian traffic, and flagman will be present to safety direct pedestrians while the lift is in use.
September 7, 2022
- Contractors are scheduled to load equipment to the roof of the building on Thursday, September 8 and Friday, September 9. A truck will be placed on Washington Square East while work is ongoing.
June 10, 2022
- Contractors are scheduled to remove furniture the week of June 13. Moving trucks will be placed on Washington Square East and will periodically be changed.
Scope of Work
- This project consists of demolition, window replacement, facade repairs, sidewalk bridging with pipe scaffolding, and interior renovations.
- Sidewalk bridging will be installed around the perimeter of the building for pedestrian safety.
- As with any active construction site, dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work and noise will be generated by mechanical equipment.
- All work is weather and site conditions permitting.