35 Fifth Avenue, Rubin Hall
New York University will be completing two projects at Rubin Hall. One project is focused on enhancing electrical and mechanical systems, along with window replacements to improve building efficiency and to further sustainability goals. The second project includes standard Local Law 11 facade repairs. The projects are scheduled to begin in spring 2023 and continue until summer 2024.
- Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Some night and weekend work may be required. Neighbors will be given advance notice of night or weekend work.
Current Project Update
November 21, 2023
- Contractors will not be working on Thanksgiving. Work is scheduled to resume on Friday, November 24. Saturday work will resume on December 2, 2023.
Previous Project Updates
September 29, 2023
- Saturday work is scheduled to continue to meet the project timeline. Work hours are 7:00 am - 5:30 pm. No noisy work will begin before 9:00 am.
September 15, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to work this Saturday, September 16 to complete interior work.
August 10, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to work on two consecutive Saturday's, August 12 and August 19th from 9:00am-5:00pm.
June 29, 2023
- Weather permitting, intermittent Saturday work will continue through July. Work hours are from 9:00am-6:00pm.
- Starting Wednesday, July 5, contractors will be completing interioir abatement overnight to reduce congestion with other workers onsite.
June 7, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to work on Saturdays through June from 9:00am-6:00pm.
- Interior construction continues.
- Interior abatement is scheduled to begin the week of June 12.
June 2, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to work on Saturday, June 3 from 9:00am-6:00pm.
April 26, 2023
- Weather permitting, contractors are scheduled to work on Saturdays from 9:00am-6:00pm. Weekend work will continue through the end of May.
April 11, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to mobilize the week of April 17 with installation of the sidewalk bridge.
February 24, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to mobilize the week of February 27 with installation of the sidewalk bridge.
Scope of Work
Window Replacement and Mechanical Upgrades
- This project consists of demolition, interior renovations, window replacement, electrical and mechanical upgrades, including enhancements to the rooftop mechanical equipment.
- A sidewalk shed, hoist, and scaffolding will be installed along Fifth Avenue and E 10th Street for pedestrian safety and to facilitate the movement of personnel and materials throughout the site.
- As with any active construction site, dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work and noise will be generated by mechanical equipment and hand held tools.
- All work is weather and site conditions permitting.
Local Law 11 Facade Repairs
- As in most Local Law 11 cases, work will be performed by contractors using swing scaffold to lower themselves down the side of the building.
- Facade repairs will require the occasional grinding and removal of mortar and masonry. This work is done with small hand tools and will create some noise. A minimal amount of dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work.
- If any asbestos containing material, or ACM, is detected in the mastic that lies behind the brick facade, contractors will implement safe abatement protocols to securely dispose of it.
- Sidewalk bridging will be installed along Fifth Avenue and E 10th Street around the perimeter of the building for pedestrian safety.