3-4 Washington Square Village, LL11 Facade Repairs
New York University is performing standard Local Law 11 repairs to the facade of 3-4 Washington Square Village. The project is scheduled to begin in early September and continue until summer 2024. This project will include abatement, facade restoration, and sidewalk bridging with pipe scaffolding. Sidewalk bridging and remain in place throught the duration of the project.
- Work hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm.
- Night and weekend work may be required. Neighbors will be given advance notice of night or weekend work.
Current Project Update
February 23, 2024
- Pending Department of Buildings (DOB) permits, contractors are scheduled to install sidewalk bridging along Mercer Street between West 4th and Bleeker Street as early as February 29.
- Per the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB), a portion of Mercer Street Playground will be closed for pedestrian safety while work is underway on the east facade of building 4 Washington Square Village. A chain link fence will be erected around the southern portion of the Mercer Street Playground for pedestrian safety.
- This work is scheduled to start the week of February 26 and will remain in place until July, weather and site conditions permitting.
Previous Project Updates
January 26, 2024
- Contractors are scheduled to start removing the sidewalk bridging along Bleecker Street between Mercer Street and LaGuardia Place as early as Friday, February 2.
- A boom lift is required to remove the sidewalk bridging over the driveways of 3&4 Washington Square Village. The boom lift will be onsite on either Saturday, February 3 or 10, pending DOT permit. Work hours are 9:00am - 5:00 pm.
December 7, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to work on two consecutive Saturday's, December 16 and 23th from 9:00am - 5:00pm. Weekend work will continue through the end of January.
- Contractors will not be working on Christmas and New Year's Day.
November 14, 2023
- Contractors have rescheduled to install the sidewalk bridge along Fiorello LaGuardia Park on November 18, 2023.
November 9, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to begin installation of the sidewalk bridge along Mercer Playground and Fiorello LaGuardia Park the week of November 9, 2023.
October 5, 2023
- A boom lift is required to erect the sidewalk bridging over the driveways of 3&4 Washington Square Village. The boom lift will be onsite for two consecutive Saturdays, October 7 and October 14.
- In accordance with DOT regulations, Bleecker Street (between LaGuardia and Mercer Street) will be closed to vehicular traffic during the work. Flagmen will be present to direct pedestrians while the boom is in use.
- Works hours are 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
September 21, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to begin installation of the sidewalk bridge along LaGuardia Place between Bleecket Street and West 3rd Street the week of September 18, 2023.
August 21, 2023
- Contractors are scheduled to begin installation of the sidewalk bridge along Bleecker Street between Mercer Street and LaGuardia Place the week of September 4, 2023.
Scope of Work
- As in most Local Law 11 cases, work will be performed by contractors using swing scaffold to lower themselves down the side of the building.
- Facade repairs will require the occasional grinding and removal of mortar and masonry. This work is done with small hand tools and will create some noise, especially while chipping the steel coating along the fire escape. A minimal amount of dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work.
- If any asbestos containing material, or ACM, is detected in the mastic that lies behind the brick facade, contractors will implement safe abatement protocols to securely dispose of it.
- Sidewalk bridging will be installed around the perimeter of the building for pedestrian safety.