New York University is performing standard Local Law 11 repairs to the facade of Founders Hall at 120 East 12th Street. The project is scheduled to begin the week of October 30 and continue through April. All work is weather and site condition permitting.
- Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Some night and weekend work may be required.
- Neighbors will be given advanced notice of night or weekend work.
Current Project Update
October 27, 2017
Contractors are scheduled to begin installation of the sidewalk bridge the week of October 30.
Scope of Work
- As in most Local Law 11 cases, pipe scaffolding will be constructed around the perimeter of the building in order to allow contractors to make repairs to the façade.
- Facade repairs will require the occasional grinding and removal of mortar and masonry. This work is done with small hand tools and will create some noise. A minimal amount of dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work.
- If any asbestos containing material, or ACM, is detected in the mastic that lies behind the brick facade, contractors will implement safe abatement protocols to securely dispose of it. Contractors can only detect ACMs when they removed bricks; if they discover any, they will safely handle, remove, and bag the material, whereupon it will be transported to a protected ACM disposal unit.
- Sidewalk bridging will be installed on West 12th Street around the perimeter of the building to protect pedestrian traffic.
- Scaffolding will also be installed around the perimeter of the old church façade.