NYU’s advocacy has been crucial to advancing higher education initiatives, expanding access to higher education through financial aid, securing resources to support the University’s research agenda, and participating in local economic development efforts.
Recent Statements and Letters of Support for Legislation
- New York Presidents/Chancellors Letter to the Departments of State and Homeland Security Urging Action to Ensure International Student Visa Processing that will Allow Students to Return to In-Person Instruction for Fall 2021 | April 2021
- NYU's FY2022 Programmatic Funding Recommendations | March 2021
- Testimony of the McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy and Research before NYC Council Committee on Mental Health, Disabilities and Addiction | March 2021
- Letter from New York Institutions about Ongoing OPT Processing Delays | February 2021
- 2021 New York Legislative Priorities | February 2021
- NYU Letter to Congress Urging Funding for Pandemic-Related Research Funding in the Next Federal Stimulus | February 2021
- Summary of COVID Relief and FY2021 Omnibus Appropriations Package | December 2020
- Testimony of Tandon before NYC Council Committee on Technology | November 2020
- Testimony of Steinhardt before NYC Council Committee on Education | October 2020
- Testimony of Matthew Murphy, Executive Director, NYU Furman Center before New York City Council Joint Hearing of the Committee on Housing and Buildings and the Committee on Justice System | September 2020
- Testimony of Dr. Tara A. Cortes, Executive Director of The Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing (HIGN) before The New York State Senate and The New York State Assembly | August 2020
- Testimony of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development at New York University before The New York City Council Committee on Education | May 2020
- Testimony of Yury Dvorkin, Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the New York University Tandon School of Engineering before The New York City Council | May 2020
- Testimony of the McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy and Research at New York University before The New York City Council Committee on Finance | May 2020
- Testimony of Matthew Murphy, Executive Director, NYU Furman Center to the New York City Council Committee on Finance | May 2020
- Summary of COVID19 Stimulus Package | March 2020
- NYU President Andrew Hamilton Letter Outlining the University's Priorities for Upcoming State Budget | February 2020
- Testimony of Cecil Scheib Before the New York State Senate Higher Education Committee | December 2019
- Testimony of Dr. Michael Lindsey before The New York State Assembly Standing Committees on Mental Health, Health, and Veterans' Affairs | December 2019
- Testimony of Cecil Scheib before The New York State Assembly Committee on Higher Education and Committee on Environmental Conservation | November 2019
- Testimony of Dr. Raymond Niaura before The New York State Senate Standing Committes on Consumer Protection, Health, and Education | November 2019
- Testimony of NYU Meyer's Executive Vice-Dean Sean Clarke before NYS Department of Health | October 2019
- Testimony of Dr. George D. Thurston before The New York City Council Committee on Environmental Protection | September 2019
- Testimony of the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing (HIGN) before The New York City Council Committee on Hospitals | September 2019
- Testimony of Dr. Yury Dvorkin, Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering before the NYC Council Committees on Consumer Affairs, Environmental Protection, and Resiliency & Waterfronts | September 2019
- Testimony of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development before The New York City Council Committee on Education and The New York City Council Committee on Higher Education | June 2019
- Sean Corcoran, NYU Steinhardt faculty, submitted testimony before New York State Assembly Standing Committee on Education | May 2019
- Cecil Scheib, Assistant Vice President for Sustainability testifies before
New York State Assembly Committee on Environmental Conservation | May 2019
- Testimony of the NYU Metropolitan Center before The New York State Assembly Standing Committee on Education | May 2019
Higher Education Policy
NYU advocates and liaisons, including students and alumni, have helped legislators create better opportunities for college hopefuls everywhere to gain access to higher education. Many of these students attend NYU: federal financial aid supports approximately 57% of our undergraduate student body, while New York State aid programs support NYU undergraduate students through more than $13 million in direct financial assistance.
NYU is bound together as a community, each member valued, each member belonging here, each member deserving of the support that NYU can give. Documented or undocumented, these are our peers, colleagues, and friends. It is vital that the higher education community is able to move across borders in peaceful pursuit of one's scholarship. NYU closely follows immigration policies that will impact our community and provides regular updates.
Research Initiatives and Economic Development
As a modern research institution, NYU advocates for continuous government investment for research initiatives that both educate our students and discover new knowledge through scholarship. NYU received approximately $360 million in federal research funding in 2018, as well as State and City grants.
As home to Colleges of Dentistry, Nursing and Social Work, NYU advocates for policies such as healthcare workforce issues, professional licensure requirements for these fields, and variety of other topics that impact our health programs.
Testimony to the Government
NYU administrators, faculty and students often provide testimony before governmental bodies—NYC Council, NYS Assembly, U.S. Congress, among others—on subjects relevant to their areas of expertise.
NYU collaborates with associations dedicated to expanding and strengthening the government’s investment in research, financial aid, and higher education.
Affiliated Academic Associations
- The American Council on Education, in which college and university presidents provide leadership on higher education issues, fostering collaboration among schools and influencing of public policy.
- The Association of American Universities, an association of leading public and private universities that advance the worldwide position of US research universities.
- The National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, which represents independent higher education institutions on policy issues such as student aid and government regulations.
- The Student Aid Alliance, a coalition of student, college and university organizations that works promote equal access to quality education regardless of family income.
- The LEARN Coalition, or Learning and Education Academic Research Network, which advocates for investment in multi-disciplinary research to advance the scientific understanding of learning and development.
- The National Humanities Alliance, which advocates for the advancement of humanities research, programs, and education.
- The Science Coalition, which promotes the benefits of university-based research to elected officials and the media.
- The New York State Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities, which represents the public policy interests of the chief executives of more than 100 independent colleges and universities in New York State.