Living in NYU Berlin housing is a mandatory part of program enrollment. Please note that the availability of different housing options may change based on enrollment numbers and other factors.
NYU Berlin Student residence in Kreuzberg
- 24-hour security, staffed with helpful and friendly guards
- NYUNet high-speed WIFI
- Study rooms on each floor
- Space for Spiritual Practice
- Computer lab with printer, copier, and scanner
- Home theater "Kino Babelsberg" with high-definition projector, DVD/Blu-ray player, surround sound, and pool table
- Student lounge "Wohnzimmer" with flatscreen TV, BluRay player, electric keyboard, Wii gaming console
- Coin-operated laundry facilities with washers and dryers
- Weekly laundry service for linens and towels
- Secure bike room
- Bed with drawer space underneath
- Lockable wardrobe (supplied with hangers)
- Lockable bedside table
- Linens, a pillow, comforter, wash/hand towels
- A corkboard to hang pictures, postcards, or other decorations
Your Living Area
- Kitchen appliances including oven/stove unit, refrigerator, and microwave
- Equipped with kitchenware, including pots/pans, dishes, silverware, cups, and glasses
- Trash and recycling bins
- Plenty of drawer/cupboard space
- Table and chairs for meals and studying
- Bathrooms with shower, storage space for toiletries, and heated towel rack
- Kitchens and bathrooms ensuite, shared with suitemates
Please note that the larger apartments housing 5-8 students feature two full bathrooms and extra kitchenware and appliances (e.g., two sinks, two refrigerators, etc.)
The Student Residence is located in Kreuzberg, one of the most popular and vibrant neighborhoods in Berlin. Its central location, river views, art and music scenes, dynamic mix of cafés and shops, and diverse community life attract people from all walks of life.
Students are housed in a modern building designed in 1984 by New York architect John Hejduk. They live in fully furnished apartments, with at least one bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen. Apartments range in size and can accommodate anywhere between two to eight students. All rooms are spacious and contain plenty of room for storage of clothing and other personal belongings. Most students live in double rooms during a regular semester, though a limited number of single rooms may be available. The building features wheelchair-accessible rooms as well as rooms with fire alarms for residents with hearing impairment.
The Student Residence is just a short walk away from two major U-Bahn lines, making the commute to classes at the NYU Berlin Academic Center about 30-35 minutes by public transport. There are various affordable cafés, restaurants, bakeries, grocery stores, and food markets nearby. The closest supermarket is right across the street from the building. Eating at the Humboldt University cafeteria is an opportunity to meet other local university students. Iconic cultural landmarks nearby include the Jewish Museum Berlin, the Berlinische Galerie, and the Martin Gropius Bau. Gleisdreieck Park, Viktoriapark, and other green spaces are only a walk or bike ride away.
The Social Hub Berlin (TSH)
*Extremely Limited Availability
In Spring 2023, NYU Berlin will offer a wider variety of housing options, including a limited number of single rooms at The Social Hub Berlin. Students who choose this housing option will be living in a building with a large community of students enrolled at other universities and young professionals. The Social Hub is located in a mixed commercial/residential area close to Alexanderplatz, between the NYU Berlin Academic Center and the Student Residence, with easy access to public transport in the neighborhood of Mitte. Each room is equipped with a bed, shelves, desk, TV set and air-condition unit. The rooms have en-suite bathrooms, and students have access to a fully functional shared kitchen. Amenities include linen service, cleaning service twice a month, and access to a large community lounge as well as a gym, a laundry room, and use of a bike-share system. Students can also use high-speed, non-NYU Net WiFi. Using the NYU VPN is highly recommended. Access to the building is granted via a secure card system and the front desk staff speak English.
Note for Tisch Recorded Music students: The NYU Berlin Student Residence has a Music Room which you are welcome to use. There is no music room at The Social Hub.
Note for Tisch Actor Training students: The course "Stanislavsky, Brecht and Beyond" (THEA-UT 9455) meets at NYU Berlin at St. Agnes, which is a 20-minute commute from The Social Hub and a 10-minute walk from the NYU Berlin Student Residence.
Students staying in The Social Hub or off-campus have access to the common areas of the NYU Berlin Student Residence.
Costs & Billing 2022-2023*
The Student Residence
Double Bunkbed- $5,708 (limited availability)
Double - $6,981
Single - $9,069 (limited availability)
Low cost single - $8,770 (limited availability)
The Student Hub (TSH)
Single - $6,773
Should you cancel your study away term, be aware of the published cancellation fee schedule that outlines important deadlines and applicable fees.
* Room rates are site specific and are generally determined by room type, rental costs, and associated support services. The figures cited in NYU's Cost of Attendance are based on annual room and board rates at NYU's location in New York.
All students will be billed an IDENTICAL housing estimate. This is not an indication of your assignment. The estimated housing charge will be replaced with your actual housing charge as soon as assignments are finalized. This usually occurs shortly after the start of the program, as some students change their housing option.
Students should expect to be billed for severe damages at the end of the semester after a final walk through by NYU Berlin staff