world map in a cafe

In most cases, international students who want to enroll at NYU as a visiting student need to obtain a F-1/J-1 student visa. In order to allow plenty of time between admission and the start of the semester, international students should submit the application by the following deadlines: 

  • Fall Semester - May 15; Aug 15 if studying remotely and not entering US
  • January Term - October 15
  • Spring Semester - November 15
  • Summer 2020 Sessions - N/A, please see the note on visas for Summer 2020 below

International students must submit their application in full, including language proficiency scores by the dates listed above. Permanent residents and individuals in the U.S. pursuant to certain non-immigrant visa categories are not required to submit visa documentation to enroll in courses.

Do I need to take an English proficiency exam?

If English is not your native language, you may be asked to show your proficiency by taking one of the following tests (results must be from the last two years):

**Starting with applicants for the Summer 2020 semester, NYU will accept the Duolingo English Test to fulfill our English language proficiency requirement.

Who is exempt from English language proficiency testing?

Exemption will be given in the following circumstances:

  • If your native language is English;
  • If you have been studying in a school or college/university where the sole language of instruction is English for at least three full years at the time of your application; or
  • If your education has been completed entirely in schools/colleges/universities where the language of instruction is English.

Do you have a minimum score requirement?

We do not have any minimum test score requirements, but competitive applicants will receive:

  • 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
  • 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
  • 70 and above on the PTE Academic
  • 191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
  • 84 and above on the MELAB
  • 4.5 and above on the iTEP
  • 125 and above on the Duolingo English Test

How do I submit my results to NYU?

For the TOEFL iBT, use NYU's code 2562.

For the IELTS Academic, search for "New York University" and release results to Undergraduate Admissions as opposed to one of our school or colleges. Similarly, for the PTE Academic, C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency, select "New York University" as opposed to one of our specific NYU schools or colleges. Searching for "NYU" will not return any results; you must search using our official name.

What kind of visa do I need?

Please note that NYU advises against a B-1/B-2 visa or Visa Waiver (ESTA) for visiting students. If you require NYU sponsorship for a visa, only F-1 or J-1 is advised. If you are offered admissions, we will assist you in the next steps, including instructions for obtaining an I-20, after you have officially accepted your spot.

Please note the following deadlines for submitting your I-20 application to the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS):

  • Fall Semester - June 1 (if studying within US)
  • January Term - November 15
  • Spring Semester - December 1
  • Summer Session - N/A

Please contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) with specific visa related questions at

Are there any special requirements I should know about?

As an F-1 or J-1 student you are required to pursue a "full course of study" to achieve a specific educational objective at an academic institution in the United States.

  • For Fall and Spring semester a full course of study can be defined as 12 - 18 credits. 
  • For Summer and January Term a full course of study can be defined as one credit per week or at least 18 hours of class time for a non-credit course.

What happens after I arrive?

All international students MUST check in with the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) upon arrival in order to be in compliance. Visit the OGS website for a list of dates and times for visiting student check in.