Applying as an International Student to our New York City Campus

Like New York City, NYU’s New York campus is home to people from all over the world. In fact, our student body is comprised of students from more than 130 countries! No matter where they apply from, every NYU applicant is held to the same admissions standards, and generally follows the same application steps.

However, there are a few things international applicants applying to our New York City campus need to know. If either of the following apply to you, please read the information on this page in detail. You are:

  • a non-U.S. citizen applying to our New York campus or...
  • a U.S. citizen applying to our New York campus from high schools located outside of the United States. 

If you are applying to our NYU campuses in Abu Dhabi or Shanghai, you can learn more about their specific requirements on the following pages:

Am I eligible to apply to NYU?

If you will have completed your country’s pre-university education (equivalent to U.S. 12th Grade) before arriving to NYU, or if any of the following apply to you, you are eligible to apply to NYU as a first-year applicant:

  • You are completing an internationally-recognized equivalent, such as the IB Diploma; or
  • You are applying from countries with school leaving qualifications based on the British educational model, and will have completed the A-level equivalent (neither O-levels nor (I)GCSE results will be sufficient for admission); or
  • You are currently enrolled in a foundation year program outside of the United States and have completed secondary school graduation requirements from your country as outlined in the International Qualifications Tool; or
  • Your highest degree earned by the time you plan to enroll at NYU is either a certificate or diploma.

Transfer applicants must first meet the high school requirements above. You are then eligible to apply as a transfer student if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are currently or have been enrolled as a degree-seeking* student at a college or university in the U.S. that is regionally accredited;
  • You are currently or have been enrolled as a degree-seeking student at a college or university outside the U.S. that is nationally recognized by the country's primary accrediting council/agency; or
  • You are currently or have been enrolled in a non-degree seeking program in the U.S. and will have completed 24 semester credits or more by the time you plan to enroll at NYU.

*A non-degree seeking student, sometimes referred to outside of the United States as a non-award/non-study student, refers to a student who is taking a course at a host university, but does not have the right to earn a degree at the host university (but credits could be earned which are transferrable).

How do I apply to NYU?

Our application process is the same whether you are a domestic or international student. So you’ll apply to NYU using one of these guides:

All students apply to NYU using the Common Application. On the Common Application and any supporting documents, be sure to use your name as it appears on your passport or birth certificate.

If you’re unfamiliar with the forms and documents required by the Common Application, check out our Forms and Documents Guide with definitions of each report, and an explanation of who needs to submit them.

When do I apply to NYU?

Our application deadlines can be found in our first-year and transfer guides.

First-year applicants from countries where the academic calendar extends from February/March to November/December should note the following:

  • You can begin the application process in the August leading up to your high school graduation.
  • If you are applying for Early Decision I (deadline November 1) , you will be applying at the very end of your final year in high school.
  • NYU's Early Decision II deadline (January 1) and Regular Decision deadline (January 5) will be shortly after you've graduated from high school. As your school may be closed for break, you should begin the process before graduating.
  • You will be applying for the Fall semester. This means that if you are admitted, you would have to take at least 1 semester off school before beginning your studies. You would not be able to apply to begin in the semester immediately after you graduate from school.

Your application, academic records, standardized testing results, recommendations and any supplemental materials should all be submitted by the deadlines. If your standardized testing results will not be ready by our application deadlines, your high school can submit predicted results on your behalf. Official results must be sent to NYU from or high school or the examination board as soon as they are released.

While we will attempt to consider all academic records and scores received after our application deadlines, an admissions decision may ultimately be made on your application if we are unable to wait any longer.

How do I finance my education?

NYU is able to offer scholarships for non-U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents applying as first-year students. Students qualify for need-based assistance based on the information presented in their CSS Profile. You must submit the CSS Profile successfully by the deadline to be considered for scholarships.

All students applying for transfer admission or their second bachelor's degree are not eligible for NYU institutional financial aid.

For more information, including deadlines, review these Financial Aid Basics.

If you are offered admission and decide to accept the offer, you will be required to submit a certification of finances showing you’ll be able to fund your four years of study. Depending on your status, here are some things to plan for:

  • Fill out the NYU Application for Certificate of Eligibility (AFCOE) online after you’re admitted to the university and pay your enrollment deposit. Submit supporting documents as well. This must be done before you’re issued a student visa (Form I-20) or exchange visitor visa (Form DS-2019).
  • If you expect to use savings, parental support, outside private or government scholarships, or any combination of these to finance your studies, you’ll need to send official letters or similar certificates as proof of such support. Include your name and date of birth on each document.
  • If you’re in the U.S. at the time of your admission, you’ll need to submit a copy of your I-94 card.
  • Students who hold a F-1 or J-1 student visa are generally not allowed to work in the U.S. to help pay for their education and are required to pursue a full-time course load each semester.

How do I apply for a student visa?

Applicants do not need to submit a certification of finances or begin the student visa application process. Admitted students are, however, eligible for NYU sponsorship of F-1 or J-1 student status.

If you are an admitted student and still have questions, contact the Office of Global Services.

If I’m admitted, when do I start classes?

Most first-year students will begin in September for the fall semester, although a small number of first-year students may be selected to begin in late January for the spring semester (students cannot apply to start in the spring). Most transfer students begin in fall semester, but some programs permit transfer students to begin in late January, for the spring semester.