Students must meet all of the following requirements to be considered for the Science Technology Entry Program (STEP):
- Be a New York State resident
- Have an 80 average in Math, Science, and English
- Identify as African American, Latino, Native American, and Alaskan American. Students who identify as White or Asian must meet state-determined economic criteria listed on the eligibility section of the website
- Be a middle or high school student in the 7th - 12th grade
How to Apply
STEP Fall 2022/Spring 2023 Application now available! Please read carefully.”
- For best results it is recommended that you use a desktop or a laptop to complete the application; the web browsers that work best with the application are Chrome and Firefox
- As you complete the application, please be sure to enter a personal email address that you check frequently. All updates, including admissions decisions regarding your application will be sent to this email address
- Complete STEP 1: the registration form STEP Fall 2022/Spring 2023 Application to create an account and start your application in NYU's non-degree application system
- Once you submit the registration form, you should receive an email with instructions and a temporary pin for setting up your account. If you do not receive this email, please contact our office. Do not re-submit the form
- After setting up your account, Complete STEP 2: by logging into the non-degree application system to complete and submit your application. If you are a previous applicant, you are considered a "returning user" please use the login credentials you previously used to submit your application
- You will receive a confirmation email with the subject line "Thank you for applying to NYU STEP" after you have successfully submitted your application. If you do not receive this email, your application has not been successfully submitted.
- Please keep a copy of your password and username once you create or access the application
- Before starting the application please make sure you have your transcript or most recent report card, essay detailing your interest in the program and in the STEM fields in 500 words or less (new students only) and relevant financial eligibility documents
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all spots are filled. If you are interested please submit a completed application as soon as possible as the application will be removed with no notice once we reach capacity. Only completed entries will be reviewed.
- If you have any questions or concerns please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 212-998-5680
Please familiarize yourself with NYU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement & Safety Measures.
Fees and Dates
Academic Program Fee: $200.00.
$100.00 for the Fall 2022 semester and $100.00 for the Spring 2023 semester.
The Program Fee is only due once students are accepted to the program and enrolled in classes the first day of the program for each semester; there is no fee to apply. Fee Waivers are available for students who are economically eligible. Please see below for the application.