In most cases, international students who want to enroll in NYU Precollege will need a student visa in order to attend. Please note that NYU advises against a B-1/B-2 visa or Visa Waiver (ESTA) for Precollege students. If you require NYU sponsorship for a visa, only F-1 or J-1 is advised. Please contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) with specific visa related questions at email@example.com.
It is important to allow plenty of time between admission and the start of the program to ensure that all visa steps are completed. As such, all international students must submit their application in full, including language proficiency scores, by the March 15th application deadline.
|Application Available||February 1|
|International Application Deadline||
|I-20 Forms* due to OGS||April 1|
*I-20 Forms are sent after an admitted student has accepted their spot.
English Language Testing Requirements:
If English is not your native language, you may be asked to show your proficiency by taking one of the following tests (results must be from the last two years):
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test)
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- PTE Academic (Pearsons Test of English Academic)
- C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency)
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency). We will accept results from the in-person or online version.
- Duolingo English Test
Who is exempt from English language proficiency testing?
Exemption will be given in the following circumstances:
- If English is your first/primary language
- If you already completed (at the time of application submission) three or more consecutive academic years in a curriculum where the only language of instruction was English
Do you have a minimum score requirement?
We do not have any minimum test score requirements, but competitive applicants will receive:
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
- 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
- 70 and above on the PTE Academic
- 191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
- 4.5 and above on the iTEP
- 125 and above on the Duolingo English Test
How do I submit my results to NYU?
For the TOEFL iBT, use NYU's code 2562.
For the IELTS Academic, search for "New York University" and release results to Undergraduate Admissions as opposed to one of our school or colleges. Similarly, for the PTE Academic, C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency, select "New York University" as opposed to one of our specific NYU schools or colleges. Searching for "NYU" will not return any results; you must search using our official name.
For the Duolingo English Test, please follow the instructions outlined in Duolingo's "How do I send my Duolingo English Test results to institutions?" documentation to send your score to NYU for free.