Additional Financial Assistance
We recognize that your circumstances may have changed since applying for financial aid.
If you are in need of additional financial assistance, there are some options available to you based on your circumstances:
- Appeal online for returning undergraduate scholarships: Returning undergraduate students should consider appealing for additional scholarships through the online appeal process which is available on the "Finances" tab of NYU Albert.
- Request a professional judgment review for need-based federal financial aid eligibility: If your, your spouse’s, or your parents’ financial situation has drastically changed since filling out the FAFSA, you should review the Professional Judgment process. (See below for details.) If you meet one of the listed criteria, you could be eligible to have your federal financial aid eligibility reviewed.
- Seek outside scholarships: Scholarships and grants awarded from organizations outside NYU can help you pay for any part of your bill not covered by university scholarships or federal grants. Reference this list of services that can help you find scholarships for which you qualify.
- Apply for the NYU Emergency Fund: The NYU Student Emergency Fund assists NYU students by providing financial support when they need assistance with unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage or need for immediate short-term housing.
- Review NYU iGrad for additional information: NYU iGrad is an interactive, online platform that offers a suite of tools designed to provide you with knowledge on financial topics and other resources.
Special circumstances not reflected by your financial aid application can affect your ability to pay for your education. As a result, you may be eligible for a Professional Judgment.
A Professional Judgment can determine whether your federal and institutional aid is sufficient following life events that include:
- Death of a parent or spouse
- Job loss
- Medical expenses
- Natural disaster
- Untaxed income
- Other (miscellaneous)
These categories also determine which form you may need to request when approaching a Professional Judgment. We will help you determine which form is needed.
To request a Professional Judgment, you should:
- Review the professional judgment request form. If applicable to your situation, complete the form and a financial aid counselor will follow-up within a few days to assist you with the available options.
- If a Professional Judgment is needed, the counselor will give you access to the relevant form on your NYU Albert To-Do List.
- When submitting a Professional Judgment request, be sure to complete all required sections of the form and submit all appropriate documentation as indicated. Incomplete request forms will not be reviewed until we receive all of the required documentation.
- You may be asked to provide additional information upon review.
- While there is no specific deadline to request a Professional Judgment, depending on timing, your request may not be applicable for the current academic year. If this is the case, you will be advised to submit for the next academic year once the new forms are available.
If a Professional Judgment is approved, your financial aid may be updated, which could mean an update in federal need-based aid or institutional aid, depending on the circumstance, your grade level, and availability of funding.