As you review your e-Bill, you might see that the amount of aid you’ve received doesn’t cover the entirety of what you owe. This could happen for a few reasons.

You may not have enrolled in enough credits to see anticipated aid credited to your e-Bill. Another possibility is that you may not have accepted or applied for all the items of aid that were listed, or your housing and fees are higher than the standard cost.

You can review your financial aid summary in NYU Albert to find out the amount on which your standard cost was based.

Seeking Additional Financial Assistance

If you are in need of additional financial aid, there are a few options available to you based on your circumstances:

  • Online appeal process: Returning undergraduate students should consider appealing for additional scholarships through the online appeal process. This option is available through NYU Albert.
  • Request a financial aid eligibility review: If your, your spouse’s, or your parents’ financial situation has drastically changed since filling out the FAFSA, you should review the Professional Judgment process. (See below for details.) If you meet one of the listed criteria, you could be eligible to have your federal financial aid eligibility reviewed.
  • Seek outside scholarships: Scholarships and grants awarded from organizations outside NYU can help you pay for any part of your bill not covered by university or federal financial aid. Reference this list of services that can help you find scholarships for which you qualify.

Professional Judgment

Special circumstances not reflected by your financial aid application can affect your ability to pay for your education. As a result, you may be eligible for a Professional Judgment.

A Professional Judgment can determine whether your federal and institutional aid is sufficient following life events that include:

  • Death of a parent or spouse
  • Divorce/separation
  • Job loss
  • Medical expenses
  • Natural disaster
  • Untaxed income
  • Other (miscellaneous)

These categories also determine which form you may need to request when approaching a Professional Judgment. We will help you determine which form is needed.

To request a Professional Judgment, you should:

  • Call or visit the Office of Financial Aid to speak with a counselor. The counselor will be able to assist you with available options by getting a better understanding of your circumstances.
  • If a Professional Judgment is needed, the counselor will give you access to the relevant form on your NYU Albert To-Do List.
  • When submitting a Professional Judgment request, be sure to complete all required sections of the form and submit all appropriate documentation as indicated. Incomplete request forms will not be reviewed until we receive all of the required documentation.
  • You may be asked to provide additional information upon review.
  • While there is no specific deadline to request a Professional Judgment, depending on timing, your request may not be applicable for the current academic year. If this is the case, you will be advised to submit for the next academic year once the new forms are available.

If a Professional Judgment is approved, your financial aid may be updated, which could mean an update in federal need-based aid or institutional aid, depending on the circumstance, your grade level, and availability of funding.