Sometimes, special circumstances not reflected on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can affect your ability to pay for your education. In these situations, federal regulations allow financial aid administrators to use professional judgment on a case by case basis, with documentation, to make adjustments to the data elements on your FAFSA that may impact your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). These adjustments can help to more accurately assess your financial need and may increase your eligibility for federal need-based financial aid. Need-based federal financial aid includes Pell Grant, Subsidized Loan, and Federal Work Study.

NOTE: Since a professional judgment review’s purpose is to determine whether you may qualify for additional need-based federal aid, students who already have a $0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on their FAFSA do not need to submit the form below as a professional judgment review will not impact your financial aid eligibility. To view your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), log in to the FAFSA website and click “View or Print your Student Aid Report (SAR)” from the “My FAFSA” page. If your EFC is already $0, please reach out to a financial aid counselor so that we may determine any other options that may apply to your specific situation. Financial aid counselors may be reached by phone at (212) 998-4444, Monday through Friday between 10am-4pm.

If you believe that your circumstances merit a professional judgment review, please submit the following form.

Upon review, a financial aid counselor will reach out to you if there are any questions about the information you have provided below. If you may benefit from a professional judgment review, a financial aid counselor will post a link on your NYU Albert To Do List so that you can upload your supporting documentation to a secure portal.

While there is no specific deadline to request a professional judgment, depending on timing, your request may not be applicable for the current academic year. If this is the case, you will be advised to submit for the next academic year once the new forms are available.