At New York University, we want all members of our community to make sound financial decisions. NYU is committed to providing access to a variety of financial education resources to assist families in expanding their knowledge of personal finance.
What is Financial Education?
Financial Education (most commonly referred to as financial literacy) is:
“Possessing the skills and knowledge on financial matters to confidently take effective action that best fulfills an individual’s personal, family and global community goals.” – National Financial Educations Council, December 2016
Regardless of your family’s financial circumstances everyone has some level of financial knowledge. It is important to recognize not everyone may have access to the many different tools available to help get on track with their financial lives. Financial education is more than just budgeting, it is enabling our students and NYU community with the education and resources to effectively manage their finances every day.
Is Financial Education the same as Financial Aid?
Financial aid is not the same as financial education -- although there are components of the two that will cross they are different. Financial Aid is the detailed types and amounts of student aid offered to you. Financial Education is the understanding of those aid types and the implications regarding different financial choices made.
Where can I start?
There is a lot of information available and knowing where to start can be overwhelming. We make financial education available in many various formats that best suit your needs.
- NYU iGrad - iGrad offers videos, calculators, articles, recommendations, games, and other resources that can help improve your finances. Their suite of interactive tools is designed to provide you with knowledge on a variety of topics including budgeting, financial aid, banking, investing, and more.
- One-on-one appointments - we offer one-on-one coaching appointments as well as presentations to support your overall financial wellness.
- Presentations & Workshops - We offer presentations and workshops on creating a budget, living in NYC, managing student loans and more.
- Campus events - Stay tuned for our calendar of events coming soon!
- References and Resources - Links to some references and resources that are useful.
Use the link below to access the topics that best meet your needs.
Financial Education Events