The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Fund Disclosure
New York University (NYU) is providing this information as required by the Federal Student Aid - Emergency Relief Fund. NYU will update this information every forty-five (45) days.
New York University acknowledges and confirms that we have submitted the request for the CARES Act funds, received the approval for said funds, and have signed and returned the Recipient’s Funding Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students. NYU intends to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
NYU is committed to awarding CARES Act / Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF) funding in accordance with guidance provided by the Department of Education.
For more information or to apply for an Emergency Relief Grant please go to: NYU COVID-19 Relief Grant. Please note that while the NYU COVID 19 Relief Grant is structured to provide assistance to all NYU students based on NYU eligibility criteria, CARES Act / HEERF funding supports only those students eligible based on Department of Education guidance and will be reported accordingly.
- Total CARES Act Federal funds allocated to NYU: $25,626,944
- CARES Act (HEERF) Available for Awards to Students: $12,813,472
- CARES Act Institutional Funding: $12,813,472
- CARES Act funds disbursed to NYU Students [as COVID 19 Relief Grant] through July 27, 2020:
- Funding disbursed: $3,595,917
- Number of NYU Students Funded through CARES: 6,292
- The estimated total number of NYU students eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in the Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA), and therefore eligible to receive emergency grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act: 24,942 Students
Methodology and Grant Amounts
NYU students are expected to complete a web based application to be considered for funding. The application is found on the NYU COVID-19 Emergency Relief Grant site.
The current application provides an opportunity for students to:
- Be informed of eligibility criteria
- Indicate the COVID-19 related reason for request
- Provide amount of request
- Acknowledge that receipts or proof of the applicant’s situation may need to be validated and submitted upon request. Students are responsible for maintaining their documentation.
- Confirm that, if awarded funding, students will use the funds to support their educational pursuit as requested
Applications are reviewed by NYU’s financial aid counselors. CARES Act funding supports only students who are eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in the Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA).
Aligning with CARES Act guidance, approvals are considered with emphasis on the financial impact of the coronavirus and due to the disruption of campus operations as it relates to the pandemic with consideration given to support requests for food, technology necessary to support remote learning, childcare, housing, and course materials.
In extenuating cases NYU’s financial aid administrators may provide CARES Act funding (COVID-19 Relief Grant) to eligible students without the application requirement, provided all other eligibility criteria is met.
Awards average $500 for those enrolled through summer 2020. Average amounts for fall semester requests may increase based on demonstrated financial need and availability of funding.
Awards are made directly to students - either via direct deposit or via check.
All students who apply but are deemed ineligible for CARES/HEERF funding, may be considered for an NYU COVID-19 Relief Grant, which is awarded from an institutional funding source.
Emergency Relief Funds are not taxable income for the student.
Please direct any questions to Jason Crowe, Enrollment Management Director of Compliance at firstname.lastname@example.org