The Fall 2021 Study Away Application is open.
The Study Away Application Process
The application review is a holistic process that considers the complete academic record, application materials and unique program requirements submitted by each student. On this page you will find all the details needed to apply to study away for a semester or academic year with NYU Global Programs at an NYU global site.
If interested in applying to a program not offered through NYU Global Programs (ex. Tisch Special Programs, Stern IBEX, Tandon Global E3), we encourage you to visit the appropriate school or department website.
- Registered as a full-time undergraduate student at NYU
- Completed freshman year of study (two full semesters) and will be 18 or older prior to beginning of term away*
- Students must be in Academic Good Standing as defined by home school
- Students on academic or disciplinary probation are ineligible to study away
- Students currently on leave from the University may be required to return to their home campus and successfully complete one academic semester (Fall or Spring) of full-time course work before enrolling in NYU Study Away; this is determined on a case-by-case basis
*Note: Students applying for the International Exchange Program are required to complete 64 credits by the time of enrollment.
Students should submit their application on or before the admissions deadlines posted below. We highly encourage students to apply by the Regular Decision deadline.
Fall Semester 2021 and Academic Year 21-22 Application Deadlines
||March 15||March 30|
|Regular Decision||April 1||
|Rolling Admissions||After April 1*||TBD (typically 2-4 weeks from date of submission)||as space remains available|
Spring Semester 2022 Application Deadlines
|International Exchange||September 15||October 15||November 1|
|Rolling Admissions||After September 15*||TBD (typically 2-4 weeks from date of submission)||as space remains available|
*Students who submit an application during these review phases will be admitted only as space remains available.
**Special note for students who wish to enroll at NYU Prague: Visa requirements set by the Czech government take up to 4 months to secure and process. Interested students should apply by the earliest possible deadline to enroll at NYU Prague.
Items Needed to Apply
In order to apply to study away for a semester or an academic year, we require the following information to consider your application complete:
- Term Selection- Fall Semester or Spring Semester. Academic Year (Fall & Spring Semester) applicants should select Fall Semester.
- Top Three Location Preferences (per semester)
- Unofficial transcript
- Academic Details- School, Major, Class Standing, Anticipated
- Graduation Year
- Citizenship Details
- Emergency Contact Information
- Location-Specific Details
Note: Students applying to specific sites may require to submit additional materials (e.g NYU Los Angeles, NYU London, and NYU Abu Dhabi).
Once you submit your application, you will have access to apply for additional optional opportunities (where available). Access to opportunities is based on your first choice location:
- Study Away Short Answer Responses for scholarship review
- Specialized Academic Program
- For-credit and Non-credit Internships
Steps to Submit an Application
- Log into the application using your NYU net ID and password.
- Select the term you are applying to study away. You can select Fall Semester or Spring Semester. Students applying for a Full Academic Year (Fall & Spring should select the Fall Semester).
- Submit all required sections of the application
- Receive a confirmation email to access your individualized Enrollment Portal. It will take about 15-30 minutes to receive access to this page.
- Click the Enrollment Portal link and submit optional materials to be considered for scholarships, academic internships, and/or specialized programs for selected locations. Opportunities are based on first choice location selection. NOTE: Deadlines for many of these optional opportunities align with the Study Away Application deadline. Please plan ahead!
Short Answer Questions
Global Semester Study Away
Question 1: Studying away from your home campus is an opportunity to expand your learning outside the classroom. What opportunities and challenges do you anticipate will impact your experience when you study away? (Recommended about 200 words).
Question 2: NYU study away is an academic opportunity designed to complement your degree. How will studying at your selected locations further your academic plans? (Recommended about 200 words).
Academic Internship Program
In 250 words or less explain how the academic internship program in your selected location will connect to your professional and academic goals. Please indicate 3 different industry interest areas (ex: non-profits, marketing, advertising, etc.).
In order to be considered for a global internship program, you must first have your resume reviewed by a career coach at the Wasserman Center or the career center at NYU Abu Dhabi or NYU Shanghai. This review must take place prior to uploading your resume.
Gallatin Program in Global Fashion (offered in Florence and London Only)
In 250 to 500 words address your academic and personal reasons for wanting to participate in the Gallatin Global Fashion program. Address how the courses and location will contribute to your understanding of fashion. Be sure to include any experience you may have had working in or studying the fashion industry.
NYU Tel Aviv Archaeology Program
Please write a 3 paragraph summary of why archaeology matters to you and how this specific program will assist and support your long term academic and professional goals.
NYU Los Angeles Program
What knowledge and/or skills do you most want to develop while studying away in Los Angeles? How will you use these to advance your professional goals? (Max 200 words)
In order to be considered for the NYU Los Angeles Program, you must have your resume reviewed by a career coach at the Wasserman Center or the career center at NYU Abu Dhabi or NYU Shanghai. This review must take place prior to uploading your resume.
NYU New York Study Away Academic Year
For students interested in studying away at NYU New York for two semesters: Please describe your academic goals and plan for both semesters, including a discussion of why two semesters in New York is essential to realizing these goals.
NYU Washington DC Global Leadership Program
- What will you gain from and contribute to the Global Leadership Program? This could include engagement with your peers, experiential learning opportunities, coursework or research, etc. (Max 200 words)
- Where do you aspire to make an impact in the world, whether through work, scholarship or service? What leadership skills do you think are most important for you to develop to be successful in creating that impact? (Max 200 words)
- How have you applied leadership skills in your home/family setting, in a college classroom setting or in a community that is important to you? What did you learn from the experience? (Max 200 words)
- List up to four extracurricular activities from college and/or high school. Be sure to include your dates of participation and a 1-2 sentence description of your involvement for each activity.