The Department of Campus Safety in conjunction with the Office of Global Programs works to create a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to pursue their educational and professional goals and aspirations. A New York-based public safety officer is available 24/7 to assist with international emergencies (212-998-2222).

For assistance in extremely rare situations, the University has contracted with a leading provider of international customer care services, which includes evacuation services.

Before you depart for the semester you will be instructed on how to use NYU Traveler, a Web-based information collection tool where flight and travel details, local and US telephone numbers, and emergency contact information can be stored so that NYU staff can assist you if needed.


Public safety might not be as big a problem as it is in some large American cities, but it is important to always be careful and stay aware. The most common safety issue in Paris is pickpocketing.

  • Pickpockets tend to prey on tourists in crowded areas so be careful when visiting crowded tourist attractions such as the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame.
  • Pickpockets also target victims in the Métro. The no.1 subway line, which runs by many attractions is the site of many thefts.
  • Gare du Nord is another high-risk area.
  • In restaurants, purses and backpacks placed on the floor or on the back of chairs are at risk of being stolen.
  • Be careful, especially late at night.
  • Never bring home someone you have just met.
  • Be aware of your belongings at all times.
  • Unless traveling, do not keep your passport on you. Keep it someplace safe at home.
  • Before leaving, check out the U.S. Department of State’s travel advisories at

U.S. Embassy

If you are having any problem with your passport or any legal difficulties, you can always contact your consulate. Make sure you set up an appointment before going.

2 avenue Gabriel, 8th arr. Métro: Concorde

Tel: 01 43 12 22 22

Personal Property Insurance

While it’s not mandatory that you purchase personal property insurance for your semester abroad, we strongly recommend that you consider it before your semester begins, particularly if you are bringing electronics with you or if you plan on traveling.

Information on the CSI Insurance Agency, a company that provides personal property/effects insurance for you while abroad if you select to undertake coverage, is included here. This is the same company that offers a similar policy for students personal items on the NYU campus in New York.

Questions about this coverage should be directed to CSI Insurance Agency directly.


You must travel with your original passport. However, it is advisable to keep a second copy of your passport with you when you travel. Also, when you travel go online and jot down the address of the embassy or consulate in your destination city. It is important to have if you lose your passport, are the victim of a crime, or somehow end up involved with the authorities.