Current NYU students interested in applying to the International Exchange Program should consider the following:

Language of Instruction
Many of our partner universities offer at least some courses in English or have an English language program. However, there are a few schools where the classes are taught in the language of the country, so proficiency in that language is necessary. These are typically schools in Germany and Latin America.

Level of Independence

Keep in mind that you are enrolling in a foreign university and will be considered an exchange/visiting/international student while you are on the program. You may be the only NYU exchange student attending a given university. NYU's partner universities have offices that specialize in advising exchange/visiting/international students. However, you are ultimately responsible for making your own arrangements, including booking your own transportation, registering for courses, and procuring and paying for accommodation.

Credit Systems
Credit systems vary from university to university. For example, at some European schools a typical full time course load is 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) per semester or 60 ECTS per year. It is important to work closely with your NYU academic department prior to your departure and when registering for courses while abroad to determine if your courses count for your major/minor and how your school's credit system will translate to NYU credits. If you take 30 ECTS at Trinity College in Dublin, for example, how many NYU credits will that equal?

Eligibility Requirements
NYU's University-Wide Exchange Program generally requires that undergraduates have completed at least 64 credits since matriculating at NYU and that graduate students have completed the first year of a masters or doctoral program prior to participation in the program. All students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing (GPA 3.0 or better) at the time of the application. Some of our partner institutions have specific GPA requirements. 

Please note that in order to participate in the exchange program you must maintain matriculation as an NYU student. If you do not maintain active enrollment status at NYU during your semester away (which includes the payment of NYU tuition), NYU will not be able to accept the transfer of credits for your semester (or year) away.