Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholars enter the program at the time of admission and join a cohort of approximately 60 fellow students. Our Scholars are joining the program at a time of unprecedented support and recognition. In June 2020, NYU President Andrew Hamilto, and Board of Trustees Chair William Berkley announced the expansion of the program to include:
- Increase in the number of Scholars to approximately 60 students in each entering class starting in the Fall of 2021
- Financial support for research, travel, and internship opportunities
- Support and leadership development over the course of student’s entire experience at NYU
- Joint leadership from the Offices of Global Inclusion and Enrollment Management and Student Success
- New programming to be developed by a cross campus working group of faculty, staff, alumni and current MLK Scholars
As an MLK, Jr. Scholar, you will have the following financial benefits:
- Starting in 2022, a Summer Research Grant of $7,500 to support research opportunities or summer study at NYU.
- Opportunity travel abroad with their cohort on a fully funded trip to a domestic or international destination related to their research as an MLK Scholar.
NYU Global Study
When Scholars enter their sophomore, junior, or senior years, they can choose to study away at one of NYU’s Global sites during the academic year. There is an additional one-time scholarship for $1,500 to help defray the costs of travel.
Read more about the Academic Expectations of the MLK, Jr. Scholars Program.