Read below for a sampling of awards and honors earned by NYU faculty in 2019-2020.
Lenny Pickett, Adjunct Instructor of Music and Performing Arts Professions in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Music Direction for Saturday Night Live's "SNL at Home #1."
Maria Grigos, Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders at NYU Steinhardt, has been selected as a 2020 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Fellow.
Okhee Lee, Professor of Childhood Education at the Steinhardt School of Culture Education and Human Development, received The National Science Teaching Association's 2020 NSTA Distinguished Service to Science Education Award.
Rachel Fish, Assistant Professor of Special Education at the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, has been selected as a 2020 National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow.
Three NYU faculty were elected to the National Academy of the Sciences:
- Dafna Bar-Sagi, Saul J. Farber Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology in the School of Medicine and Executive Vice President and Vice Dean for Science, Chief Scientific Officer of NYU Langone Health
- Gérard Ben-Arous, Silver Professor of Mathematics at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Lai-Sang Young, Henry and Lucy Moses Professor of Science at the Courant Institute
Three NYU faculty from the Faculty of Arts and Science were elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences as 2020 fellows:
- Susan Antón, Professor of Anthropology
- Mary Carruthers, Professor Emerita of English
- Gregory Murphy, Professor of Psychology
The recipients of the 2019-20 NYU Distinguished Teaching Awards are:
- Dolly Chugh, Associate Professor of Management and Organizations in the Stern School of Business
- Stephen Duncombe, Professor in the Gallatin School of Individualized Study and in Steinhardt's Media, Culture, and Communication Department
- Kenneth Egol, Joseph E. Milgram Professor of Orthopedic Surgery in the Grossman School of Medicine
- Troy McKenzie, Professor in the School of Law
- Margaret Raywood, Associate Arts Professor in Tisch School of the Arts
- Dorothy Wholihan, Clinical Associate Professor in Meyers College of Nursing
Three NYU faculty were awarded Guggenheim Fellowships from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation:
- Jenny McPhee, Clinical Assistant Professor in the School of Professional Studies
- Kimberly Phillips-Fein, Professor in the Gallatin School of Individualized Study
- Melissa Schwartzberg, Silver Professor of Politics in the Faculty of Arts and Science
Three NYU faculty won Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellowships:
- Anna Choromanska, Assistant Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the Tandon School of Engineering
- Christine Constantinople, Assistant Professor of Neural Science in the Faculty of Arts and Science
- Daniele Panozzo, Assistant Professor of Computer Science in the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
Carol Dysinger, Associate Professor of Graduate Film at the Tisch School of the Arts, won an Academy Award in Best Documentary (Short Subject) and a BAFTA for Best Short Film for Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl).
Thomas Marzetta, Distinguished Industry Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Tandon School, was elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
Miguel Modestino, Assistant Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the Tandon School of Engineering, has received a Faculty Early Career Development Award from the National Science Foundation.
Licia Fiol-Matta, Professor of Spanish and Portuguese Language and Literature in the Faculty of Arts and Science, has been named a co-winner of the MLA Prize in United States Latina and Latino and Chicana and Chicano Literary and Cultural Studies.
Two NYU faculty have been named Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS):
- Nicola Partridge, Professor of Basic Science and Craniofacial Biology at the College of Dentistry, for her expertise in molecular endocrinology and bone and mineral research
- Bart Kahr, Professor of Chemistry in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, for his research on the growth mechanisms of crystals built from molecules and the physical properties of those crystals
David Grier, Professor of Physics in FAS, was named a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors.
Spike Lee, Professor and Artistic Director of Graduate Film at Tisch School of the Arts, has received the 46th Annual Chaplin Award from Lincoln Center.
Stefano Sacanna, Associate Professor of Chemistry in the Faculty of Arts and Science, has received the American Physical Society's 2020 Early Career Award for Soft Matter Research.
Catherine Hartley, Assistant Professor of Psychology at FAS, has received the Early Career Award from the Society for Neuroeconomics.
Sally Cohen, Clinical Professor at the Rory Meyers College of Nursing, has received the 2019 Lois Capps Policy Luminary Award from the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Six NYU faculty received 2020 GRAMMY nominations:
- Jim Anderson, Professor of Recorded Music at Tisch, was nominated for Best Immersive Audio Album for his engineering work on Kverndokk: Symphonic Dances
- David "Swagg R'Celious" Harris, Adjunct Instructor of Music and Performing Arts Professions at the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, was nominated for six awards for his work as a songwriter and producer on H.E.R.'s album I Used to Know Her and on the Drake/Chris Brown song "No Guidance"
- Alan Silverman, Adjunct Instructor in the Tisch School, was nominated for Best Jazz Vocal Album for his engineering work on Catherine Russell's Alone Together and for Best Roots Gospel Album for Joseph Habedank's Deeper Oceans
- Caroline Shaw, Adjunct Instructor of Music and Performing Arts Professions at the Steinhardt School, was nominated for Best Contemporary Classical Composition for Shaw: Orange
- Julia Wolfe, Associate Professor of Music and Performing Arts Professions at the Steinhardt School, was nominated for Best Contemporary Classical Composition for Fire In My Mouth
- Lewis Erskine, Assistant Arts Professor at the Tisch School, was nominated for Best Music Film for his work as an editor on Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool
Jacquelyn Taylor, the Vernice D. Ferguson Professor in Health Equity at Meyers College of Nursing, has been elected as a member of the National Academy of Medicine.
John Rinzel, Professor of Neural Science at in the Faculty of Arts and Science and Professor of Mathematics at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, has won the Swartz Prize for Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience.
Meredith Broussard, Associate Professor at the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute, has won the 2019 Sally Hacker Prize from the Society for the History of Technology.