Student in science lab

First Steps

To begin the process of adding or changing a program at the Doctoral level, please make sure you've completed the following steps:

School Approvals

Obtain and document all necessary school specific approvals

OAPRA Consultation

Meet with OAPRA for a brief consultation

Committee Approval

Obtain Graduate Program Committee approval, if required

GPC Info

Next Steps

If you’re looking to add or change any Doctoral program, then you’re in the right place. This page will outline the specific forms and documents that will satisfy the remaining NYSED and NYU requirements. Here’s what’s next:

OAPRA Review

Submit a complete proposal to OAPRA for review and submission to NYSED

NYSED Review

New York State Education Department reviews proposal for approval

NYU Processing

School, registrar, and other NYU stakeholder notification of approval

Important Note

Advertising, marketing, or otherwise promoting a new program or curriculum prior to full NYSED approval and registration is strictly prohibited per New York State Education Department rules and regulations.

Submission Guidelines

To ensure success and a smooth and timely review process, please be sure to follow these guidelines no matter what kind of proposal you are submitting. Neglecting these steps will result in more revisions and a longer turnaround time.

  • All required NYU and NYSED documents are complete and submitted in a single email to for the initial proposal submission
  • If a subsequent round of revisions is required, a complete proposal with all required NYU and NYSED documents is submitted in a single email
  • All necessary documents are submitted in Word document format, except syllabi (submitted as PDF)

Add a Program

Change a Program

NYSED notification is required for ALL changes to any Doctoral Program. If new registration is requested, the process for changing an existing doctoral program will vary depending on whether it falls within the category of General Academic, Licensed Profession, or Teacher Certification.

Programs that are not Licensed Profession or Teacher Certification fall within the General Academic category. Unsure of whether your program is in a licensed profession? Check the list of professions requiring licensure in NY State.

What Kind of Program Are You Changing?

General Academic

Licensed Profession

Teacher or Educational Leader Certification

School Psychologist or PPS

Add a Distance Education Format

If you would like to allow the students in your program to take 50% or more of their program requirements online or in some kind of distance format, you must register a Distance Education Format with NYSED.

Graduate Program Committee

The Graduate Program Committee (GPC) advises the Provost on proposals for new graduate programs.

In order to begin the new program process, GPC approval must be secured.


OAPRA Contact Card