Complaint Process for Out-of-State Students Regarding Distance Education Programs

New York University distance education students based outside of New York State who have a consumer-protection-based complaint regarding a distance education program should first seek to resolve such a complaint within the NYU school in which the student is registered. Note that complaints regarding grades and general student conduct issues are not governed by this distance education complaint process.

Consumer-protection-based complaints should be made during the semester of occurrence, but must be made no later than the last day of the following academic semester.

The school offering the relevant distance courses or degree program will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within fifteen (15) days. If the student’s attempt at resolution within the student’s school is unsuccessful, the student may appeal the school’s decision regarding the student’s complaint to the NYU Vice Provost for Educational Technologies at within fifteen (15) days of being informed of the decision. A decision on the appeal will be issued within sixty (60) days with any proposed remedy, where applicable.

Please note that anonymous complaints will not be addressed through this process.

Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) states

If attempts to resolve the complaint and a subsequent appeal are unsatisfactory, a student residing in a SARA state (see list below) may appeal the complaint to the SARA state portal entity in New York within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made.

The contact information for the SARA state portal entity in New York is:

Owen Donovan, PhD
Supervisor, Higher Education Programs
New York State Education Department
80 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234

State contact information is listed through the SARA website found here.

SARA States & Territories

Alabama Indiana
Rhode Island
Alaska Iowa Nevada South Carolina
Arizona Kansas New Hampsire South Dakota
Arkansas Kentucky New Jersey Tennessee
Colorado Louisiana New Mexico Texas
Connecticut Maine New York Utah
Delaware Maryland North Carolina Vermont
District of Columbia Massachusetts North Dakota
Florida Michigan Ohio Washington
Georgia Minnesota Oklahoma West Virgina
Hawaii Mississippi Oregon Wisconsin
Idaho Missouri Puerto Rico
Illinois Montana Pennsylvania Virgin Islands

For students enrolled outside of New York state and in a non-SARA state or territory, the contact information for your agency is listed below.

For students who are located in New York State, please reference the following link.

Note: New York University does not maintain the state and territory websites, and information may change without New York University’s knowledge.

State or U.S. Territory Agency Name Agency Link

The State of California - California Department of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Information Center

American Samoa American Samoa Department of Education

Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands State Department of Education; State Higher Education Agency

Guam Boards of Regents

Republic of the Marshall Islands Scholarship Grant and Loan Board Unknown

Federated States of Micronesia Department of Education