University Calendar Policy on Religious Holidays
University Calendar Policy on Religious Holidaystop
Whereas, New York University, as a nonsectarian institution, adheres to the general policy of including in the official calendar of the University only certain legal holidays, and
Whereas, as a matter of long-standing University policy members of any religious group may, without penalty, absent themselves from classes when required in compliance with their religious obligations, and
Whereas, given the various religious faiths represented on campus and acknowledging the nonsectarian nature of the University, present calendar policy is intended to apply equitably to all religious groups and to provide opportunities to all to meet their religious obligations.
Therefore, the University Senate reaffirms its long-standing calendar policy and resolves
1. That students who anticipate being absent because of any religious observance should, whenever possible, notify faculty in advance of such anticipated absence.
2. That, whenever feasible, examinations and assignment deadlines should not be scheduled on religious holidays. Any student absent from class because of his/her religious beliefs shall not be penalized for any class, examination, or assignment deadline missed on that day or days.
3. That if examinations or assignment deadlines are scheduled, any student who is unable to attend class because of religious beliefs shall be permitted the opportunity to make up any examination or to extend any assignment deadline missed on that day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the University for making available to the student an opportunity to make up examinations or to extend assignment deadlines.
4. That no adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student who avails him/ herself of the provisions of the resolution.
A violation of these policies and principles shall permit any aggrieved student to bring a grievance, provided under the University Grievance Procedure.
- Dates of official enactment and amendments: Not Available
- History: N/A
- Cross References: N/A
About This Policy
Effective Date Supersedes N/A Issuing Authority Office of the Provost Responsible Officer General Counsel