Winners include “A Strange Loop” for Best Musical and Best Book of a Musical, “The Lehman Trilogy” for Best Play, and “Company” for Best Revival of a Musical
Seventeen NYU alumni won Tony Awards last night, recognizing excellence in producing, writing, and acting. The awards, presented by the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing, and hosted by Ariana DeBose, were held at Radio City Music Hall.
The NYU alumni were graduates of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development; the Tisch School of the Arts; the Stern School of Business; the School of Law; the Gallatin School of Individualized Study; the Tandon School of Engineering; Liberal Studies; and the College of Arts and Science.
A Strange Loop—written by Michael R. Jackson (TSOA ’03, ’05) and produced by five NYU alumni—won the award for the Best New Musical, while the Best New Play award went to The Lehman Trilogy, also produced by five NYU alumni. Seven NYU alumni were producers on Stephen Sondheim’s Company, which was named the Best Revival of a Musical.
NYU alumni were also nominated in categories for the best in lighting, scenic, and costume design, as well as excellence in performance, direction, and scoring.
Now in their 75th year, the American Theatre Wing’s Annual Antoinette Perry “Tony” Awards® honor excellence on Broadway in 26 competitive categories. The nominees are selected by a rotating group of approximately 50 theater professionals appointed by the Tony Awards Administration Committee. Tony Award winners are selected by 831 designated Tony voters composed of producers, performers, and other industry professionals.
NYU alumni winners for 2022 include the following:
- Craig Balsam (LAW ’86), Producer, The Lehman Trilogy
- Amanda Dubois (STEINHARDT ’98), Producer, The Lehman Trilogy
- Heni Koenigsberg (STEINHARDT ’74), Producer, The Lehman Trilogy
- Dawn Smalberg (TSOA ’89), Producer, The Lehman Trilogy
- Adam Zell (TSOA ’16), Producer, The Lehman Trilogy
- Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13), Producer, A Strange Loop
- Ilana Glazer (LS ’07, CAS ’09), Producer, A Strange Loop
- Kayla Greenspan (STEINHARDT ’12), Producer, A Strange Loop
- Barbara Whitman (GAL ’88), Producer, A Strange Loop
- Marc Platt (LAW ’82), Producer, A Strange Loop
Best Book of a Musical
- Michael R. Jackson (TSOA ’03, ’05), A Strange Loop
Best Revival of a Play
- Carole Rothman (TSOA ’72), Producer, Take Me Out
Best Revival of a Musical
- Scott Abrams (TANDON ’84), Producer, Company
- Hunter Arnold (STERN ’13), Producer, Company
- Wendy Federman (STERN ’79), Producer, Company
- Sean Patrick Flahaven (TSOA ’97), Producer, Company
- Christopher Ketner (STEINHARDT ’09), Producer, Company
- Heni Koenigsberg (STEINHARDT ’74), Producer, Company
- Adam Zell (TSOA ’16), Producer, Company