A panel discussion, moderated by CBS medical reporter Dr. Max Gomez, will address health issues such as access to services, preventive care, and management of chronic illness.
NYU Contact: Bill Pfeiffer | 212.998.2097 | firstname.lastname@example.org
VillageCare Contact: Lauren Logan | 212.337.5751 | LaurenL@villagecare.org
A panel discussion, moderated by CBS medical reporter Dr. Max Gomez, will address health issues such as access to services, preventive care, and management of chronic illness
“Take Charge of your Health Today” will be the focus of a community health forum sponsored by New York University’s Office of Civic Engagement and VillageCare. This forum will feature a panel of distinguished expert professionals who will address important health issues in today's complex environment and will be moderated by Dr. Max Gomez, the popular CBS Emmy Award-winning TV medical reporter.
The event will take place on Thursday, June 14, 2012, from 9:30 am to 12pm at the NYU Global Center for Academic and Spiritual Life at 238 Thompson Street, 5th Floor. Community members interested in attending should RSVP to the NYU Office of Civic Engagement at (212) 992-7323. Refreshments and health information materials will be complimentary for attendees.
Among the key issues to be addressed are:
- Where to get help in setting and maintaining realistic goals for fitness and health
- How to improve communication between patient and health provider and patient and health insurance company
- How to overcome barriers regarding access to your health provider
- What resources are available in the community to help manage chronic illness
- How best to handle and get counsel on age related health issues
- How to be your own best health advocate
Among the distinguished panelists who will participate in addressing these issues, as well as answering questions from the audience, are:
- Tara A. Cortes, PhD, RN, FAAN Executive Director; NYU College of Nursing, Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing.
- Kenneth Stewart, M. Div., LMSW, Program Director, VillageCare Health Home
- Dr. Jonathan Whiteson, M.D., Director of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, NYU Langone Medical Center, Rusk Rehabilitation
- Connie Sixta, RN, PhD, MBA, Consultant
This is the first in a series of free health forums open to the public for the West Village, East Village, and Chelsea communities. A special thanks to The Villager, our media sponsor.