La Maison Française of New York University, located at 16 Washington Mews (at University Place), will host several special events in April and May, including a PEN World Voices event entitled “Ravel: A Conversation with Music,” to take place on April 29. All events are free and open to the public and take place at La Maison Française, unless otherwise noted. For further information, call 212.998.8750 or visit www.nyu.edu/maisonfrancaise.
A schedule of events follows:
- Thurs., Apr. 5, 6:30 p.m. Institute of French Studies Colloquium: “Perspectives on the 2007 Presidential Campaign in France” with Thomas Philippon, NYU; Muriel Rouyer, Université de Nantes; and Joan W. Scott, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton.
- Fri., Apr. 6, 10:30 a.m. Roundtable: “`La Jeaunesse est dans la rue’: les jeunes et la politique en France” with Bruno Julliard, chairman, Union Nationale des Étudiants de France and NYU students.
- Tues., Apr. 10, 7 p.m. Conversation: Novelist Philippe Besson, author of En l’absence des hommes; L’arrière saison (Prix RTL-LIRE), in conversation with France 3’s Olivier Barrot. A “French Literature in the Making” event.
- Thurs., Apr. 12, 7 p.m. Lecture: “La Passion des origins. Entre langue et nation” by Maurice Olender, author of Les Langues du Paradis. In French.
- Fri.-Sat., Apr. 13-14 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Conference: “Constructing Charisma: Fame, Celebrity and Power in 19th Century Europe” with Jeffrey Alexander, Yale; Emily Apter, NYU; Ruth Ben-Ghiat, NYU; Edward Berenson, NYU; and others.
- Mon., Apr. 16, 7 p.m. Lecture: “L’époque du post cinema” by Jean-Paul Fargier, video artist, TV producer. In French.
- Wed., Apr. 18, 6:30 p.m. Colloquium: “La Question et ses réceptions depuis la Guerre d’Algérie” with Henri Alleg, author of La Question, and in response, Steven M. Lukes, NYU.
- Mon., Apr. 23, 7 p.m. Lecture: “Counter-Revolution French Style: The Legacy of the 1980s” by François Cusset, author of La Décennie: Le grand cauchemar des années 80.
- Wed., Apr. 25, 1 p.m. Conversation: Novelist and poet Alain Mabanckou, author of Memoirs of a Porcupine (Prix Renaudot, 2006), and novelist Dany Laferrière, author Le cri des oiseaux fous (Prix Marguerite Yourcenar), in conversation with Anderson Tepper, journalist, Vanity Fair. A PEN World Voices event.
- Wed., Apr. 25, 6 p.m. Conversation: Yasmina Khadra, nom de plume of former Algerian army officer Mohammed Moulessehoul and author of The Swallows of Kabul, in conversation with NYU Professor Emmanuelle Ertel. Note location: Tinker Auditorium, French Institute Alliance Française, 55 E. 59th St.; reservations required: 646.388.6682.
- Sun., Apr. 29, 3 p.m. Special event: “Ravel: A Conversation with Music” with French novelist and author of Ravel, Jean Echenoz, and violinist Nurit Pacht. Features music by Ravel, played by Pacht and members of the Alliance Players. A PEN World Voices event. Note admission charge: $20; reservations: 212.998.8750.
- Mon., Apr. 30, 7 p.m. Conversation: Filmmaker, photographer, and author of La Femme couchée par écrit Alain Flesicher in conversation with Olivier Barrot, journalist, France 3. A “French Literature in the Making” event.
- Mon., May 7, 7 p.m. Reading/discussion: “Unknown Flaubert: Recently Discovered Texts” by Esther Allen, co-founder, Center for Literary Translation, Columbia University; and Richard Sieburth, NYU. Co-sponsored with The Paris Review.