New York University College of Nursing has announced the formation of a new Board of Advisors consisting of 13 national and local leaders in nursing and health care. The establishment of this board was warranted by the elevation of the College of Nursing from a division within NYU to a separate college within the College of Dentistry-a process that was completed in September 2005. The Board of Advisors will meet semi-annually to guide the new college, review its progress, and help inform and shape its future.
The chair of the Board of Advisors is NYU nursing alumna Neville Strumpf, PhD, RN, FAAN, who is the Edith Clemmer Steinbright Professor in Gerontology and director of the Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence at University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. Dr. Strumpf formerly served as interim dean of nursing at the University of Pennsylvania.
“The Board sees the College as a key player in health care in New York City and as a critical force for academic nursing, drawing a national and international student body,” says Dr. Strumpf. “We expect the College to have a significant impact well beyond the city as we celebrate 75 years of nursing at NYU.”
“Boards of Advisors are common at the top nursing schools and can be very valuable in providing a broad vision that takes financial, social, and health care perspectives into account. We appreciate the commitment these outstanding board members have made to the NYU College of Nursing and look forward to their wise counsel.” says Dr. Fulmer.
Board of Advisors
- Mark H. Beers, MD, Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of The Merck Manuals and Executive Director of Geriatrics at Merck & Co., Inc.
- Susan Bowar-Ferres, PhD, RN, CNAA, BC Senior Vice President & Chief Nursing Officer, NYU Hospitals Center, NYU Nursing Alumni, PhD 87
- Claire Fagin, PhD, RN, FAAN ,Chair of the National Board of Advisors, The John A. Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, NYU Nursing Alumna, PhD 64. Dean Emerita, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Past Interim President, University of Pennsylvania.
- Geraldene Felton, EdD, RN, FAAN Dean Emerita, University of Iowa College of Nursing, NYU Nursing Alumna, PhD 69
- Jocelyn Greenidge, MA, RN NYU Nursing Alumna “75
- Kenneth Judy, DDS, FACD, FICD Faculty, NYU College of Dentistry, NYU alumnus 68
- Anthony Leiker, RN, MS Co-founder of eBioCare.com (formerly, Millennium Health, Inc.)
- Carol Raphael, President and Chief Executive Officer, Visiting Nurse Service of New York
- Daniel Reingold, Esq., MSW President & CEO, Hebrew Home for the Aged, Riverdale
- John W. Rowe, MD professor, Department of Health Policy and Management, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Ursula Springer, PhD Past president, Springer Publishing Company
- Neville Strumpf, PhD, RN, FAAN Edith Clemmer Steinbright Professor in Gerontology, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, NYU Nursing Alumna, PhD, 82
- Norman Volk Chairman of the Board, The John A. Hartford Foundation, Inc. of New York