Oscar-winner/Alum Ang Lee and Brown University President-Elect Ruth Simmons Among Those Receiving Honorary Degrees
WHAT: New York University holds its 169th Commencement Exercises in Washington Square Park. Beginning with an academic procession by honorees, University officials, trustees and students in full regalia, the ceremony will be attended by 15,000 graduates, faculty members, family members and guests.
WHO: NYU’s President, Dr. L. Jay Oliva, will preside. Honorary degrees will be awarded to:
- Chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange Richard Grasso
- Academy Award-winning filmmaker and NYU Alumnus Ang Lee
- National Book Award-winning writer and NYU Alumna Cynthia Ozick
- President of Smith College and President-elect of Brown University Ruth Simmons
- Vice-chancellor and President of the University of London Graham J. Zellick
Mr. Lee will speak on behalf of all the honorary degree recipients, and Ms. Simmons will offer commencement remarks.
WHEN & WHERE: For press availability with the honorees, press should come to the honorees’ robing Thursday, May 10, 2001, 8:45 am, NYU’s Bobst Library, 70 Washington Square South, 12th Floor
To cover the Commencement ceremony only Thursday, May 10, 2001, 9:45 am press to enter Washington Square Park through the south side at the entrance at Thompson Street
Journalists should carry valid credentials