New York University is once again joining with the Washington Square Coalition and the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in sponsoring entertainment for the local community through its Washington Square Park Summer Series ‘97. The program has brought art, music, drama and recreation to Washington Square Park since 1988. As part of the program, tonight the Washington Square Music Festival will feature Big Band Jazz.
This year’s events include:
- The Washington Square Music Festival, featuring the Big Band sound of Felix and the Cats, 8:00pm on July 15th
- Classic recordings rendered on a gramophone; noon to 5:00 pm, Sundays and Mondays through August 31st, in the northeast corner of the Park
- Children’s art and dance classes provided by the Greenwich Village Youth Council, 11:00 am to 1:30 pm, Monday through Thursday until August 28th, in the Children’s Playground
- NYU’s award-winning Jazz Ensemble, noon to 2:00 pm, every Wednesday through August 27th, at Teen Plaza
- “Hansel and Gretel,” performed by the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre Puppets, 10:30 am and 12:30 pm on July 18th, on the grassy lawn west of the Arch
- “Big Ideas for Little People,” an interactive performance for children by singer/songwriter Patricia Shin, 10:30 am on July 25th, on the grassy lawn west of the Arch
- A visit by the Department of Parks and Recreation “Sportsmobile,” 11:00 am to 5:00 pm on July 31st, in the northeast section of the Park (east of the Arch)
- “Animan!!!” by Masque Storytelling - the performance will use a variety of masks, 10:30 am on August 1st, on the grassy lawn west of the Arch
- A day of in-line skating provided by the Department of Parks and Recreation “Skatemobile,” from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm on August 4th, in the northeast section of the Park (east of the Arch)
- “These Feet Are Drums,” performed by David Pleasant’s RiddimAthon!, at 10:30 am on August 8th, on the grassy lawn west of the Arch
- A day of fun and games with the arrival of the Department of Parks and Recreation “Playmobile,” from 11:00 am to 5:00pm on August 11th, in the northeast section of the Park (east of the Arch).
- “The Magic Al Garber Show,” at 10:30 am on August 15th, on the grassy lawn west of the Arch
- A silly, wacky, magical show: the “Sheeza Witch Magic Show,” at 10:30 am on August 22nd, in the Children’s Playground
This program of free entertainment is sponsored by the Washington Square Coalition, New York University and the City of New York Parks and Recreation. The Washington Square Music Festival is sponsored by the Washington Square Association. Generous support was provided by State Senator Catherine Abate, Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, and Councilmember Kathryn Freed.
For more information on the events, contact Tom Fluellen at 212-998-2407.