Frequently Asked Questions
The Selection Committee takes into account the diversity of schools, fields, conferences, and degree enrollment at New York University when reviewing applications. While applications are reviewed independently and are not cross-compared to one another, the Committee strives to ensure that we have NYU student representation across a wide range of fields and professional development. This ensures that students are able to explore different fields and enrich the NYU community through their newfound perspectives at the end of the year colloquium. Thus, the Selection Committee is very intentional with funding multiple applications to the same conference. Please take this into account when deciding when to apply as we make funding decisions on a first-come-first-serve basis.
The Selection Committee reviews all applications in a holistic matter. Strong applicants will thoroughly and thoughtfully craft a professional letter of intent and resume/CV, and provide a detailed breakdown of expenses. In an effort to be good stewards of NYU dollars, applicants shall strive to choose the most economical options.
What is the SGA Conference Fund?
The Conference Fund is a source of funding for NYU students to participate in or organize an academic or professional conference. For all travel, please review the NYU Travel Policy for the most up to date information on necessary approvals.
Who is eligible to apply to the Conference Fund?
All enrolled New York University students who are attending OR organizing a conference are eligible to apply.
Applicants must be registered students at the time of the conference.
Students cannot apply for a conference that takes place after graduation.
How do I access the Conference Fund applications?
- Applicants for the Conference Attendance Grant can access the application via NYU Engage here: Spring 2023 Attendance Application
- Applicants for the Conference Organization Grant can access the application via NYU Engage here: Organization Application
How can I submit my Note of Support?
- Notes of Support can be submitted by the supporting advisor via email directly to the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. All Notes of Support should be submitted on an appropriate letterhead.
What types of expenses are eligible for reimbursement?
- For the Conference Attendance Grant, allowed expenses generally include registration, lodging, and transportation (international and domestic). Legitimate and legible receipts are required.
- For the Conference Organization Grant, allowed expenses generally include conference materials or speaker honorariums.
Is there a limit to how much funding I can request?
- At this time, we are happy to provide as much funding as possible to our applicants. However, the committee still maintains the right to decide how much funding is considered reasonable for any given application.
- We strongly encourage applicants to seek additional funding from NYU departments, programs, or schools, as well as from reputable third-party funders, such as professional organizations or foundations.
What types of expenses are NOT eligible for reimbursement?
- Poster printing costs, membership dues, car rentals/ridesharing/gas/tolls, travel purchased with “miles”, or food or beverage expenses. No payments to individuals (i.e. Paypal, Venmo or paying another person directly).
How will I receive my award?
- For the Conference Attendance Grant, awardees will be reimbursed up to the amount awarded - with supporting documentation. You will only be reimbursed for the amount you prove you spent for direct conference purposes, including travel, lodging, and registration. All receipts for travel, lodging, registration, etc must be itemized and in your name in order to be reimbursed for those expenses.You must submit all receipts and proof of payment for expenses, proof of travel (ie. boarding passes), and/or proof of attendance (ie. name badges) that will be covered by the funds awarded and will be reimbursed up to the amount awarded. All receipts must be submitted 14 days after the final day of the conference OR 14 days after you have received your award letter - whichever is the latest. If not, you will forfeit the award and not receive a reimbursement.
- For the Conference Organization Grant, funds will not be disbursed directly to students. Any approved funds will be transferred to the student club or group’s authorized NYU advisor, who will distribute funds according to the conference proposal and itemized budget.
When will I receive my award decision?
- You will receive an award decision within 6-8 weeks of your submission date.
Why is my award decision deferred or denied?
- Your award decision may be deferred so that the selection committee may request supplemental information before making an informed decision.
If your letter of recommendation is not submitted within two weeks of your application submission, your application will be denied.
When is the Application Deadline?
- Conference Attendance Application
- For conferences held between September 1, 2023, and December 8, 2023, all application materials are due by December 9, 2023, at 11:59 PM ET.
- For all conferences held between December 9, 2023 and May 10, 2024, all application materials are due by May 10, 2024, at 11:59 PM ET.
- For all conferences held between May 11, 2024 and August 30, 2024, all application materials are due by August 30, 2024, at 11:59 PM ET.
- Conference Organization
- For conferences held this academic year (September 1, 2023 - May 11, 2024), all application materials are due May 10, 2024, at 11:59 PM EST, but it is strongly recommended that applications be submitted as soon as possible.
- We understand your situation and we're trying our best to review applications in a timely manner. However, the grant is first come first serve, so we must be fair to all applicants and review them as much. Please understand this before reaching out to us as we cannot review your application before others that were previously submitted.
Conference Funding Committee Chair | NYU Student Government Assembly
Updated September 20, 2023