Frequently Asked Questions
The Selection Committee takes into account the diversity of schools, fields, conferences, and degree enrollment at New York University when reviewing applications. While applications are reviewed independently and are not cross-compared to one another, the Committee strives to ensure that we have NYU student representation across a wide range of fields and professional development. This ensures that students are able to explore different fields and enrich the NYU community through their newfound perspectives at the end of the year colloquium. Thus, the Selection Committee is very intentional with funding multiple applications to the same conference. Please take this into account when deciding when to apply as we make funding decisions on a first-come-first-serve basis.
The Selection Committee reviews all applications in a holistic matter. Strong applicants will thoroughly and thoughtfully craft a professional letter of intent and resume/CV, and provide a detailed breakdown of expenses. In an effort to be good stewards of NYU dollars, applicants shall strive to choose the most economical options.
What is the SGA Conference Fund?
The Conference Fund is a source of funding for NYU students to participate in or organize an academic or professional conference. For all travel, please review the NYU Travel Policy for the most up to date information on necessary approvals.
Who is eligible to apply to the Conference Fund?
All enrolled New York University students who are attending OR organizing a conference are eligible to apply.
How do I access the Conference Fund applications?
- Applicants for the Conference Attendance Grant can access the application via NYU Engage here: Fall 2022 Attendance Application
- Applicants for the Conference Organization Grant can access the application via NYU Engage here: Coming Soon
How can I submit my Note of Support?
- Notes of Support can be submitted by the supporting advisor via email directly to the Committee at email@example.com. All Notes of Support should be submitted on an appropriate letterhead.
What types of expenses are eligible for reimbursement?
- For the Conference Attendance Grant, allowed expenses generally include registration, lodging, and transportation (international and domestic). Legitimate and legible receipts are required.
- For the Conference Organization Grant, allowed expenses generally include conference materials or speaker honorariums.
What types of expenses are NOT eligible for reimbursement?
- Poster printing costs, membership dues, car rentals/ridesharing/gas/tolls, travel purchased with “miles”, or food or beverage expenses. No payments to individuals (i.e. Paypal, Venmo or paying another person directly).
How will I receive my award?
- For the Conference Attendance Grant, awardees will be reimbursed up to the amount awarded - with supporting documentation. You will only be reimbursed for the amount you prove you spent for direct conference purposes, including travel, lodging, and registration. All receipts for travel, lodging, registration, etc must be itemized and in your name in order to be reimbursed for those expenses.You must submit all receipts and proof of payment for expenses, proof of travel (ie. boarding passes), and/or proof of attendance (ie. name badges) that will be covered by the funds awarded and will be reimbursed up to the amount awarded. All receipts must be submitted 14 days after the final day of the conference OR 14 days after you have received your award letter - whichever is the latest. If not, you will forfeit the award and not receive a reimbursement.
- For the Conference Organization Grant, funds will not be disbursed directly to students. Any approved funds will be transferred to the student club or group’s authorized NYU advisor, who will distribute funds according to the conference proposal and itemized budget.
When will I receive my award decision?
- You will receive an award decision within 6-8 weeks of your submission date.
Why is my award decision deferred or denied?
- Your award decision may be deferred so that the selection committee may request supplemental information before making an informed decision.
If your letter of recommendation is not submitted within two weeks of your application submission, your application will be denied.
When is the Application Deadline?
- For conferences held between September 1, 2022 and December 9, 2022, all application materials are due by December 9, 2022, at 11:59 PM ET.
- For all conferences held between December 10, 2022 and May 5, 2023, all application materials are due by May 5, 2023, at 11:59 PM ET.
- For all conferences held between May 6, 2022 and August 31, 2023, all application materials are due by August 18, 2023, at 11:59 PM ET.
Conference Funding Committee Chair | NYU Student Government Assembly
Updated September 16, 2022