Welcome to the Faculty, Academic Year 2016-2017
Date: October 5, 2016
To: NYU Faculty
From: Katherine Fleming, Provost
Re: From the Provost
Dear Faculty Colleagues,
Welcome to the start of the 2016-17 academic year.
As the University's new provost, I have some basic principles drawn from my own experience as a faculty member, from my time working with my predecessor, Dave McLaughlin and from the direction Andy Hamilton has indicated he would like the University to take.
- We are always and fundamentally an academic enterprise; a focus on NYU's academic mission — both research and the education of our students — should be at the heart of everything we do.
- My principal role is to support the academic vision and aspirations of the faculty, and to be attentive to what faculty need by way of support, both in their working lives and their family lives.
Also, not so much a principle as a guideline — I will try to keep my memos short.
Aims and Goals
Among my first focuses will be:
- Increasing faculty diversity, beginning with the recruitment process at the school level and, through Deans, the departmental level.
- Creating clearer and more uniform promotion and tenure procedures to provide clarity to tenure candidates and to ensure tenure decisions are academically sound and intellectually informed.
- Launching a study of faculty quality of life and of NYU family-friendly policies (or lack of them).
In closing, I want to express gratitude and respect for Dave McLaughlin, who served as provost for the past 14 years. Those of you who know him know that he is a man of great dignity, integrity, decency, and intelligence. As faculty member, Courant director, and provost, his service to NYU has been commendable.
Best wishes for the coming year.
New Academic Spaces
Explore the number of projects underway to provide new academic space and expand space for student services, and how each fits with each other and our overall academic aims.
New faculty renew and enhance ranks NYU's academic vibrancy. Join me in extending a warm welcome to the new colleagues who have joined us, many of whom I had the opportunity to meet at September's TFSC CFSC new faculty reception.
Please join me also in congratulating our many colleagues who have been recognized for their scholarship and teaching this year and last.2016-2017 Faculty Awards
2015-2016 Faculty Awards
Distinguished Teaching Awards
Global Faculty Committee
After months of intensive work, the Faculty Committee on the Global Network — chaired by Eliot Borenstein (FAS) and Una Chaudhuri (FAS and TSOA) — has issued its final report for 2015-16 (PDF).