The Search Process for a New Vice Chancellor of NYU Abu Dhabi
To: The NYU Abu Dhabi Community and NYU Faculty
From: NYU President Andrew Hamilton and Provost Katherine Fleming
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2018
As you all know, Al Bloom announced his intention to step down as Vice Chancellor of NYUAD effective August 2019. Over the next few months, we will have many opportunities to celebrate Al for his leadership. And we are committed to finding a new Vice Chancellor who will use his foundation to build an even more exceptional future.
We are writing now to describe the first step in identifying our next Vice Chancellor: the creation of a committee that will search widely and then recommend a small slate of individuals for our consideration.
We want to extend our thanks to the entire search committee, but in particular to Una Chaudhuri (Collegiate Professor and Professor of English, Drama, and Environmental Studies) and Dick Foley (Dean Emeritus of FAS, currently Professor of Philosophy) for agreeing to co-chair the Committee. The other members are listed below.
The new Vice Chancellor will be the principal person responsible for continuing the remarkable upward trajectory of NYU Abu Dhabi. We have asked the Committee to conduct a comprehensive international search for candidates with strong scholarly credentials, compelling records of academic leadership, and extensive international experience. The new Vice Chancellor needs to be someone who is conscious of the importance for NYU Abu Dhabi not only for NYU's global network but also for the UAE and the region. In addition, he or she must have a demonstrated ability and eagerness to work closely with students, faculty, staff, and administrators in Abu Dhabi and across NYU’s global network, as well as with our Abu Dhabi partner, Tamkeen.
The committee had its first meeting on May 17, 2018 and will meet again in Abu Dhabi early in the fall. Also in the fall, there will be listening sessions at both NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU New York.
Many of you know and have worked with talented people who might be strong candidates for this position. We welcome your suggestions. Nominations, as well as any other suggestions for the committee, can be forwarded to Una and Dick at NYUADVCSearch@nyu.edu.
As the committee begins its work, please join us in once again thanking Vice Chancellor Bloom for his many contributions and outstanding service.
NYU Abu Dhabi Search Committee
- Una Chaudhuri, Collegiate Professor and Professor of English, Drama, and Environmental Studies, NYU Arts and Science and Tisch; Affiliated Faculty, NYU Abu Dhabi (Co-Chair)
- Dick Foley, Professor of Philosophy, NYU Arts and Science (Co-Chair)
- Fatma Abdulla, Senior Vice Provost, Strategy and Planning, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Shamma K. Al Bastaki, BA in Social Research & Public Policy and Literature and Creative Writing, ’18, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Justin Blau, Professor of Biology and Neural Science; Chair, Department of Biology, NYU Arts and Science
- Carol Brandt, Associate Vice Chancellor, Global Education and Outreach, and Vice Provost, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Dominic Brewer, Gale and Ira Drukier Dean; Professor of Education, Economics and Policy, NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development
- Hannah Brückner, Vice Provost for Faculty Diversity; Professor, Social Research and Public Policy, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Sehamuddin Galadari, Senior Vice Provost of Research Outreach; Managing Director of the NYUAD Research Institute; and Research Professor of Biology, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Jeff Lehman, Vice Chancellor, NYU Shanghai
- Samer Madanat, Dean of Engineering, NYU Abu Dhabi; Global Network Professor of Engineering, NYU
- Ann Morning, Associate Professor of Sociology, NYU Arts and Science; Affiliated Faculty, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Yaw Nyarko, Professor of Economics, NYU Arts and Science; Affiliated Faculty, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Kirsten Sadler Edepli, Associate Professor of Biology, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Ellen Schall, Senior Presidential Fellow; Dean Emeritus, NYU Wagner
- Karen Shimakawa, Associate Professor, Academic Associate Dean, NYU Tisch
- David Stasavage, Silver Professor; Professor of Politics; Divisional Dean, NYU Arts and Science
- Justin Stearns, Associate Professor in Arab Crossroads Studies, NYU Abu Dhabi
- Marion Wrenn, Senior Lecturer, Director of the Writing Program, NYU Abu Dhabi