The Appointment of Neil Guterman as Dean of the Silver School of Social Work
To: The Silver School of Social Work
From: NYU President Andrew Hamilton and Provost Katherine E. Fleming
Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017
We are delighted to announce the appointment of Neil Guterman as the new Dean and Paulette Goddard Professor of Social Work at the Silver School of Social Work, effective September 1, 2017.
Dr. Guterman comes to NYU from the University of Chicago, where he has been Dean of the School of Social Service Administration since 2010. Dr. Guterman is also currently the Mose & Sylvia Firestone Professor of Clinical Social Work, and Director of the Beatrice Cummings Mayer Program in Violence Prevention. Prior to joining the SSA faculty in 2006, he was a tenured faculty member and Ph.D. program chair at the Columbia University School of Social Work.
A demonstrated academic leader in social work practice, research and education, as dean in a complex urban research university, Neil Guterman brought social work into collaboration with schools and disciplines from across the university, engaging deeply with the city to help address its most intractable social problems and training the next generation of social work practitioners, researchers, and leaders. He is also a distinguished scholar in the field of child abuse prevention and children’s victimization; has been awarded numerous federal and private foundation grants; is the author of many scientific articles, book chapters, and a book; and serves on multiple advisory and editorial boards. He received his Ph.D. in social work and psychology and M.S.W. from the University of Michigan, and his B.A. from UC, Santa Cruz.
We thank the Search Committee, and in particular its chair, Dr. Jerome Wakefield, University Professor and Professor of Social Work. Their hard work, thoughtfulness, and dedication brought us a wonderful candidate.
We are also very grateful to James Jaccard, Professor of Social Work and Co-director of the Center for Adolescent and Family Health, who led the Silver School as its Interim Dean with great dedication since September 1, 2016.
Please join us in congratulating Neil on his appointment as Dean. We welcome him to the NYU community with great pleasure and pride.
Members of the Search Committee
- Jerome Wakefield (Chair), University Professor, Professor of Social Work (SSSW) and Professor of the Conceptual Foundations of Psychiatry (Medicine)
- Dominic Brewer, Gale and Ira Drukier Dean, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Liliana Goldin, Professor of Social Work
- Robert Hawkins, McSilver Associate Professor in Poverty Studies
- Debra LaMorte, Senior Vice President, University Development and Alumni Relations
- Michael Lindsey, Associate Professor of Social Work
- Michelle R. Munson, Associate Professor of Social Work
- Linda Mills, Vice Chancellor and Senior Vice Provost for Global Programs and University Life; Lisa Ellen Goldberg Professor, SSSW
- Carol K. Morrow, Vice Provost
- Dina Rosenfeld, Associate Clinical Professor of Social Work
- Adriana Ruvalcaba, MSW candidate
- Constance McCatherin Silver, NYU Trustee, MSW ’79
- Philip Coltoff, Alumni MSW ’64; former CEO, Children’s Aid Society